DEMO 3 n 1 overdrive I've been building.

This post contains an audio or video demo

swyse

Hey guys, I wanted to share another project I've been working on. This PCB I designed is for building a klon centaur, bluesbreaker and ts-10 3n1 with separate jacks to change order or use them with other pedals between if desired, or klon>bluesbreaker>ts-10 if no jacks are inserted. I took some liberties changing component types, using film and non polarized in the audio path. It also has two DC jacks, with one of them being switching so it disconnects the other so both can't be used. I did this for better compatibility with the different sizes of patch cable ends potentially blocking the top DC jack. This monster took me 6 hours and 15 minutes to build, but I think I could get that down a lot with a PCB revision and using my pcb software to locate all the resistors digitally haha. I was glad to be done soldering and assembling so I forgot to get it all cleaned up for the pictures. The demo is from the first one I built before I added a bit more contrast to the graphics so you can actually see the swirls haha. Also the ICL7660SCPAZ I got from tayda had a whine so I had to pull one out of my other klon clones so I could get this out to the customer ASAP so just a heads up I'd skip that and get a 1044 from them instead as I've had good ones of those.

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0807.png

Hey guys, I wanted to share another project I've been working on. This PCB I designed is for building a klon centaur, bluesbreaker and ts-10 3n1 with separate jacks to change order or use them with other pedals between if desired, or klon>bluesbreaker>ts-10 if no jacks are inserted. I took some liberties changing component types, using film and non polarized in the audio path. It also has two DC jacks, with one of them being switching so it disconnects the other so both can't be used. I did this for better compatibility with the different sizes of patch cable ends potentially blocking the top DC jack. This monster took me 6 hours and 15 minutes to build, but I think I could get that down a lot with a PCB revision and using my pcb software to locate all the resistors digitally haha. I was glad to be done soldering and assembling so I forgot to get it all cleaned up for the pictures. The demo is from the first one I built before I added a bit more contrast to the graphics so you can actually see the swirls haha. Also the ICL7660SCPAZ I got from tayda had a whine so I had to pull one out of my other klon clones so I could get this out to the customer ASAP so just a heads up I'd skip that and get a 1044 from them instead as I've had good ones of those.

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0807.png

I suddenly feel the need to get an ice scream scooper......! awesome-ness!

Awesome work! You can’t beat the holy trinity! Have you thought about an SMD Layout and then get somewhere like JLCPCB to populate for you to save time? The looks like a monster to build.

Awesome work! You can’t beat the holy trinity! Have you thought about an SMD Layout and then get somewhere like JLCPCB to populate for you to save time? The looks like a monster to build.
Absolutely, in fact I just did a PCB revision and was considering making it SMD, but I think there is value to people who are after this kinda thing to have it be through hole. I considered making two versions, but ultimately because it would have to be partly through hole for quality assurance (I pick the parts 100%) and economic (the odd values in klon section make it have to be "extended" parts) reasons I opted to make the new revision through hole again.

Made a new PCB revision so I figured I'd show off the bare PCB while I've got one here. I fixed all the silk screen indicators and moved the jack connections to the top, instead of the bottom. This revision and my practice building them has the total build time down to 4 hours for me, which is much better. This pedal is the first time I've gone with values for the silk screen instead of designators and I think I prefer it and it makes it much easier for other people to build if I ever give/sell a PCB in the future.
IMG_0978.JPG

Nice, I like it. I really like the values o. The boards. I’m thinking I might start doing that myself.
I did it on this because it's just a pure clone (times three), but thinking about it who is even going to trace my more original stuff down the the bare PCB level where it matters what is on the PCB haha.

Back