DEMO Snozzberry Overdrive! (One Control Strawberry Red OD)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I got my lastest order from PedalPCB today from the current coupon and in the vacuum sealed bag was a surprise!

@Robert was kind enough to send me a sneak preview of the long awaited Snozzberry Overdrive!

Many thanks to @HamishR and his 75 cousins for keeping this upvoted on the wish list…. :p

From what I can gather this is the 3 knob version but it has an internal bass trimpot that Robert exposed as a control pot (to save me the trouble of doing it myself hahah).

Out of all the Juhl pedals I’ve built so far this one might be the best to me.
It‘s got an incredible range of gain from squeaky clean boost to full on distortion.

I had originally planned to build something else this afternoon but when this showed up in the mail it got
bumped to the top of the list. I’m running very low on 125b enclosures and didn’t have a red one on order.

But the grey sand with the red knobs work for me.

Super smooth build, by the time I noticed that Robert has sent me the bom text file I had already finished building it hahah.

Clipping provided by a pair of 1N4001’s and a pair of red LEDs. it’s got both an rc4558 and an NE5532 in it.

The gain is classic Juhl style, thick, rich and chewy.

I hadn’t gotten very far with exploring all it can do before recording the demo this evening.
Lots of clams and mistakes in this demo free of charge hahah, but you”ll get an idea of what this drive sounds like.

Highly recommended build for a “do it all” kind of drive. clean boost, dirty boost, low gain, medium and high gain all on tap.

The tone controls are subtle and don’t offer a ton of range. Can’t wait to see what @HamishR winds up doing to mod this one hahaha.

I also used the Simple Latching Relay board for switching. Love those things….maybe a bit too much hah.

IMG_4467.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

Demo recorded with my red strat of course…..heh

Wha-wha-what?? Wow. So pleased that you like it! I suspect there won't be much I will change because it's already a great sound. My main thing is the LEDs - for some reason I don't get on with LED clipping diodes. I could tell just by how it sounded when I played my One Control SROD that there were LEDs inside. I haven't prised mine open to look because of how they are built but that clipping sound is quite distinctive. I'm one of the few who seems to not like LED clipping!

So all I want to try is maybe two pairs of 1N4148s or similar as clipping diodes. And maybe to spread the love for this extraordinary overdrive.

My large group of friends and cousins will be pleased!

Sounds really good. Is this another one where he put LEDs in the feedback loop then 1n4001s hard clipping on the output of the op amp? That seems like it gives a good "amp like" tone. The first pedal I was aware of that did that was the Barber Barber Direct Drive albeit with all silicon diodes.

Sounds really good. Is this another one where he put LEDs in the feedback loop then 1n4001s hard clipping on the output of the op amp? That seems like it gives a good "amp like" tone. The first pedal I was aware of that did that was the Barber Barber Direct Drive albeit with all silicon diodes.
I haven't seen the schematic so not sure what's going on but it sounds about right.

Your tone and playing are impeccable.

I can't tell if this is an awesome-sounding overdrive or just an amazing player. Thanks for the inspiring demo.
Definitely the pedal..... :ROFLMAO: ....I think this is one of the best of all the Juhls circuits I've built yet.

Great job, as always!

Can't wait to build this now, after listening to your demo (and then a bunch of SRV...)

I used to listen to Lenny, Riviera Paradise, Little Wing and Tin Pan Alley from a friend's reel-to-reel on headphones laying in the dark and repeat for a few hours at a time...

Great job, as always!

Can't wait to build this now, after listening to your demo (and then a bunch of SRV...)

I used to listen to Lenny, Riviera Paradise, Little Wing and Tin Pan Alley from a friend's reel-to-reel on headphones laying in the dark and repeat for a few hours at a time...
How much "420" did you partake of whilst laying in the dark with the headphones on?

How much "420" did you partake of whilst laying in the dark with the headphones on?

It was while I was in Holland, so a legitimate question...

Truthfully, none.

I couldn't get over the nuances in SRV's playing, the quality of the reel-to-reel and full-sonic immersion of the headphones —
it put me in an even better head space than any ganja has ever done.

That was two years after I'd seen him live, third-row seats. What a concert, what showmanship, what musicianship.
There's a lot of pushback against SRV, due to oh-so-many clone-players, but if I could cop any of his blues-masters-copped licks at all, I would do so unapologetically.

I haven't seen the schematic so not sure what's going on but it sounds about right.
The red diodes are in the feedback loop. I like the sound of this pedal better without the red diodes because there is still ample drive but more high end definition. I tried a few other diodes instead and so far the BAT46 do it for me. Here is the schematic --

d84482ff-s.png

The red diodes are in the feedback loop. I like the sound of this pedal better without the red diodes because there is still ample drive but more high end definition. I tried a few other diodes instead and so far the BAT46 do it for me. Here is the schematic --

d84482ff-s.png
Are you able to attach a higher resolution version of the schematic? For some reason, it's tiny on my desktop screen.

Are you able to attach a higher resolution version of the schematic? For some reason, it's tiny on my desktop screen.
that is the only version I could find. you can do a google image search for "strawberry red overdrive schematic" and get a link to a non-English site with the image.

The image-link in Zgrav's post#15 was to the thumbnail on the Japanese site, not to that website's thumbnail's linked large graphic.

I've taken the liberty of translating the page with Google-translate; I was going to omit the images, but in for a penny... However, I have not linked to the larger schematic as Coltonius has already provided it.

November 30, 2020
I analyzed Strawberry Red Over Drive

A while back I got a ONE CONTROL Strawberry Red Over Drive.

I've been curious about the good reputation of this effector for a long time, and I bought it because the junk product with the broken bass adjustment trim was cheap. This mini pedal series from ONE CONTROL often uses trims for fine adjustment, but looking at the net, it seems that they are all fragile.

I disassembled the whole trim to repair it, but I suddenly thought of it, took a circuit diagram and made a clone.
I've seen a lot of overdrive circuit diagrams, but I'm not sure if they're correct because there are circuits that I haven't seen anywhere else.
The sound output from the finished effector was almost the same as the original, so I don't think I made a big mistake.

d84482ff-s.png

By the way, in the actual machine, the Low Cut trim uses a small variable resistor that can be adjusted with a thin screwdriver through a hole on the side of the main unit.

I found this circuit interesting for two reasons.

One is how to make a polite bias. Normally, if a bias power supply is made in one place, it is distributed to the necessary places in the circuit. Looking at the circuit diagram, I made it four times.
This method increases the number of parts, but since each power supply is independent, I think it is resistant to noise without being affected by each other's circuits. Perhaps this is because the board is divided in order to fit the parts in this effector in a small frame.

The other is a distortion generation circuit and a filter. The distortion of this pedal is a series connection of two types of distortion: diode clipping distortion in the feedback circuit of the op amp often used in overdrive, and diode clipping distortion in the signal circuit used in distortion. And after that, parallel ✕ double stack? A filter that combines a resistor and a capacitor. I saw this for the first time. how should i calculate it?

Two operational amplifiers are used, but the model number is deleted.
However, a small operational amplifier for surface mounting is easy to erase.
I was able to confirm that it starts with "4", so it's probably 4558.

b8e6428f-s.jpg

The other one has the model number deleted, but the layout of the deleted character string, the shape of the package, and rumors on the Internet? Based on the above, I decided that it was the MC1458P made by Texas Instruments.

32d284ef-s.jpg

This photo was used as a reference. A flat package with almost no unevenness, two lines of text, and some symbols at the beginning of the text match.
This time, I noticed that a printed character string or a two-line DIP type operational amplifier is actually very rare, and it seems that this was left after the process of elimination.

ae583a3d-s.jpg

Actually, I remade the actual product about 4 times, and each time I remade the parts layout, so I ended up not knowing which layout diagram I used to make it... If you want to make it, start with the parts layout. Try it.

By the way, mine looks like this.

74d4860f-s.jpg

Back