DEMO Vers-HF-2 flanger

This post contains an audio or video demo

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
Let's hack a fraudhacker, shall we? Higher, further, faster baby! 🫡. The Elusive HF-2, the high band flanger has been on my radar for a long time but it wasn't until recently that I decided to take the deep dive into the circuit with my accomplice and partner in crime @blackhatboojum that this started to come into focus. Clinton is the best of bad influences and the only one who appreciates my modulation musings and I wouldn't have done this without my BBD brother from another mother🥰
7kws2o.jpg
So what is the hf-2? If the bf-2 is Miller then the hf-2 is Miller lite. The hf-2 is also basically the bf-2b. Boss is not one to waste and will build multiple pedals on the same board. There are only a few resistor changes between the stock circuit and the hf-2 (no drawn schematic exists of the bf-2b to confirm every value) but the main difference is the MN3204 BBD chip. The MN3204 has half the delay stages of the MN3207, which in turn shifts the frequencies of the modulated signal up one octave. The result is a slightly more subtle flanger that has a slightly sweeter tone that dabbles in DEM territory.

The build was smooth using a fraudhacker board and making the few changes per the boss schematic. Shout out to @Bio77 for shipping me a MN3204 to confirm that everything works while I could find a couple in the wild. I was able to find two more, one for Clinton as well. These are hard to source and many are stupid expensive. There may be another build for a bass board in my future. The calibration is the same as a stock fb-2 and was confirmed by two helpful sources on Instagram who were kind enough to give me clock measurements of their units.

The enclosure is a tayda pastel violet that has a beautiful satin sheen to contrast the gloss UV print. For my design I wanted to pay tribute to the color palette and HF-2 designation and the Higher, Further, Faster (hf-2 😂) phrase made perfect sense and I wanted something bold and colorful so I chose Carol Danvers and her Kree name of Vers. Should you get the chance to build one I highly recommend it. I included two sound clips, the first is a more chorus type setting and the second shows the difference with the stock bf-2 with both pedals having all knobs at noon.
IRazSSO.jpg
cXuxTKM.jpg
0DxVdkc.jpeg

Last edited:
You had me in the intro, then the graphics blew me away (those pastels are popping), then the demo sealed the deal.

An HF-2 with a clean blend would be a perfect flanger for me! Oh yeah.. MN3204..

Great build and demo!
Thanks, I know there are some people out there that were tired of me talking about this during the build (🤣👇) but it was a lot of fun and should you be able to get some of the chips then I whole heartedly recommend this pedal.
I love the spirit of exploration in this project
Thanks dude, I appreciate you tolerating Clinton and I babbling about it 🤣

Last edited:
I'm on the hunt for mn3204 I guess. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL in every way!
I did check out the source that John gave. His worked so it's a legit source, but shipping was thirty bucks. Perhaps if enough interest existed then someone (not me 😂) would organize a group buy. I would be in for a couple more if we could get the shipping down.
Those guts are CLEAN!

If your not building to have the cleanest build possible then why even bother🤷🥴

HF2 sounds better for that song. BF2 is wackier sounding which is great for other things.
I wouldn't say the bf-2 is wackier sounding, but I agree that using them for different things is what I will likely do.
Hot damn this turned out great! I’m happy and honored to have played a small role in this one. When something like this or an analog delay comes up in the chat, I can hear the groan, sigh, and “Oh Jesus… here they go again 🤦”, all the way out here in Arizona 😂.

View attachment 48112
They laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same 🤣💯

Back