Ambassador - Matchless Hotbox project

vigilante398

Authorized Vendor
This one was mentioned in another thread, and it got me thinking that it would be a pretty good DIY project. This will be based off the original Hotbox, which is not true bypass. The footswitch switches between two channels, clean and gain, and it will all fit into a 1590BB. I'm not done with the layout yet as I have some other things to do tonight, but if I don't post anything about it then nobody will remind me to finish it. So here's where I'm at so far, it will be a pretty comfortable build if you've built a v2 Black Eye and also has a similar parts count, just a couple extra pots.

Screenshot 2023-05-11 230541.jpg

How 'bout that HotBox?!

It's already 8pm here...
Crap, it's 11pm here now and I just got home and have some stuff to take care if then I'll probably get to bed. The bassist that I've been working with on the design for my Venus X preamp flew out to Chicago to fine tune the last bits of the design, so it's been a busy day trying to get everything done before he has to fly back home.

But I should seriously be able to get it finished tomorrow (saturday).

Just finished routing, all I need to do now is slap a sushi logo and a label on it and get it ordered. I will of course keep everyone posted on how it goes. Oh I also need to get a new 3PDT board made up since this isn't true bypass so I need to break out all 9 pins of the switch for it, but that won't take long.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 232906.jpg

And a bottom shot so @music6000 can get his labels rearranged on the mockup. Clean Volume is the only control on the clean channel, all four remaining controls are just for the drive channel, so I thought grouping them like this made sense both operationally and for placement/routing.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 233126.jpg

Just finished routing, all I need to do now is slap a sushi logo and a label on it and get it ordered. I will of course keep everyone posted on how it goes. Oh I also need to get a new 3PDT board made up since this isn't true bypass so I need to break out all 9 pins of the switch for it, but that won't take long.

Is there any way of knowing which Channel your On?

When the clean channel is active only one LED will light up, when the dirt channel is active both LEDs will light up. Best I could do since the 12AX7 boards weren't designed for bi-color LEDs
OCD kicking in, Did you go with the Right side lights up on Clean & Left side for Gain channel???

OCD kicking in, Did you go with the Right side lights up on Clean & Left side for Gain channel???
Of course, that's the only way that makes sense. The thought behind it was that if a tube is active in the circuit the LED for it should be on. The clean channel only uses the first tube so only that LED will light up, but the dirt channel uses both tubes so both LEDs will light up with the dirt channel active.

Prototype boards have finished fabrication but are waiting for the pick-and-place job to finish on one of the other boards I ordered at the same time. Should ship in the next day or two though.

I guess now's as good a time as any to give an update on this. This pedal freaking rocks. I only ordered a handful of PCBs to verify the design, but it's perfect, doesn't need any changes. So I'll get some more boards on order and get a build doc written up so I can get these in the store.

IMG_20230527_004117.jpg
IMG_20230527_004156.jpg

Last edited:
Back