Hudson Sidecar/Pillion

HamishR

So I just finished this and I quite like the sound. Used a Russian MP20 for one of the clipping diodes because I have plenty of them. It has a charming kind of ragged breakup with a very usable tone. It's one of the better sounding ODs I've tried recently. It won't replace my faves but it will get used.

I also tried SMD 100µF caps for the first time and they work a treat. What a great trick!

Sidecar ext.JPG

Sidecar int.JPG

If I build this again I think I'll use something a lot lower than 1M for the gain pot. 100-250K will be plenty.

If I build this again I think I'll use something a lot lower than 1M for the gain pot. 100-250K will be plenty.
It is similar to a TS up to the gain stage but it has an active Bass & Treble controls.
Your love of Low Gain would have made me think you would have reduce the Gain pot value on this Build.
That SMD Cap mod is Great for sure!

Yeah I noticed that the front end looks quite TS-like. It all gets more interesting from the clipping onwards. Probably the first time I have not immediately wanted to get the LED out of the clipping section. Paired with an MP20 Ge transistor it doesn't really sound like LED clipping. It's cool! I even wonder if it needs that buffer stage at the front? Probably just to get some level to drive the clipping stage I guess. I don't know if it's putting out any gain or not.

When it was first traced, Their was confusion as to how the GE was connected as it was a vero build going off in different directions than normal.
There are incorrect layouts still out there!

Back