SOLVED Well, damn...first lifted pad. Salvageable?

mkstewartesq

After 20 builds, it finally happed. I lifted a pad (I soldered an 8-pin socket in backwards and instead of just marking pin 1 and leaving well anough alone, I desoldered it. So much for having a big brain.))

Pad to Pin 2 on IC3 (a TL072) lis lifted. (Edit - Also I now see pin 4 is partially gone as well but fromwhat I can tell that pin may not be used in this circuitl.) See pic. Anyway to save or should I just order a new board and start again? Schematic also attached.

Thanks.

Mike

Attachments

• Pad.jpg
    Pad.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 27
  • CurrentLover2023.gif
    CurrentLover2023.gif
    174.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Check to see if there is still a trace between pins 1 and 2 on the other side of the PCB. If so, and if the pads are still there then you shouldn't have a problem.

Pin 4 looks to still have a connection to the ground plane, you can verify with a continuity test.

If both of those are the case you should be good to go.

Check to see if there is still a trace between pins 1 and 2 on the other side of the PCB. If so, and if the pads are still there then you shouldn't have a problem.

Pin 4 looks to still have a connection to the ground plane, you can verify with a continuity test.

If both of those are the case you should be good to go.
Thank you @Robert. Looks to me like the trace is still there between 1 and 2 on the back (picture attached).

How would I go about testing continuity from pin 4 to the ground plane? I’ve certainly tested continuity between different pads but where should I be placing the other multimeter probe to test continuity between pin 4 and the ground plane (if you don’t mind)?

Thank you again.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_8960.jpeg
    IMG_8960.jpeg
    374.8 KB · Views: 4
Test continuity from Pin 4 to any ground point on the board.
Thanks, I realized as soon as I posted that this was probably a stupid question. I tested from pin 4 for the ground pads for the jacks as well as the ground pad to the 3PDT and got continuity on all I also got continuity from pin 1 to pin 2.

Thanks for the help and reassurance, all.

M

Thanks, I realized as soon as I posted that this was probably a stupid question. I tested from pin 4 for the ground pads for the jacks as well as the ground pad to the 3PDT and got continuity on all I also got continuity from pin 1 to pin 2.

Thanks for the help and reassurance, all.

M
Then you’re good to go… word of advice, at the price of a socket, cut the leg off and simply remove on leg at the time. Much less chances of pulling a pad. Or like you said, just leave it reverse… ;)

Then you’re good to go… word of advice, at the price of a socket, cut the leg off and simply remove on leg at the time. Much less chances of pulling a pad. Or like you said, just leave it reverse… ;)
Thanks - yeah, that's what I did. No way was I going to try to take the thing out intact. Some leg stumps were just more tenacious about coming out than others

M.

Back