Texel Boost

szukalski

This is Chuck’s GeFet boost, which I built a number of weeks ago. Then a few weeks later I boxed it (must be good to be worthy of an enclosure). I’ve been so happy with it that I got a faceplate done, so here we are with a build report.

PCB is my own but the circuit is all Chuck, and it’s a good one. Sounds equally great pushing a cranked JTM45 or a clean Princeton. It’s also a quiet pedal. Kudos to Celestial Engineering! I really enjoy it.

IMG_2211.jpeg IMG_2212.jpeg IMG_2213.jpeg

Spot on. I have them made thinner as well, 1mm. You get a couple with scratches on now and then, but they’re pretty nice overall and make for a quick build process.
Where do you get the faceplates done? Do you have to buy in bulk or can you purchase one faceplate at a time?
Thanks!

Where do you get the faceplates done? Do you have to buy in bulk or can you purchase one faceplate at a time?
Thanks!
I get them done at JLCPCB when I get my PCBs made. Minimum is 5 but cost is low that it doesn’t matter that there are spares (and you can pay it forward!).

If you’re smart with layouts, you could do a different pedal on each side and flip it over.

I’ll add it to the open source repository later tonight or tomorrow, when the kids allow, including the DipTrace file so you can play around with the layout for other pedals if you like..

giphy.webp

Lamb Fries!!

I get them done at JLCPCB when I get my PCBs made. Minimum is 5 but cost is low that it doesn’t matter that there are spares (and you can pay it forward!).

If you’re smart with layouts, you could do a different pedal on each side and flip it over.

I’ll add it to the open source repository later tonight or tomorrow, when the kids allow, including the DipTrace file so you can play around with the layout for other pedals if you like..
Great and thanks. Love your work!

Awesome work! I need to try JLCPCB for faceplates. @szukalski - do you up load the text as images from other software?
The font type is vector in DipTrace, then I just choose some funky free fonts (I like Font Monkey). It sometimes doesn’t look nice in preview but it always turns out nice in the end product.

Face plate looks great! I'd love to get my hands on the Gerbers for it, I built this one from your repo and it sounds fantastic, also deserving of a nice enclosure and face plate for sure!

How satisfied are you with the quality of the silkscreen detail? I was a bit afraid about it so I did the same but in a "signal without solder mask" so it is shiny at the end. I also used an aluminium board with a 1mm thickness (JLCPCB). Tried to make "etched pot marks" but it is not as visible as I would like. Still a noticeable change in the texture though.

unnamed (1).jpg unnamed.jpg IMG_20230420_162529773.jpg

How satisfied are you with the quality of the silkscreen detail? I was a bit afraid about it so I did the same but in a "signal without solder mask" so it is shiny at the end. I also used an aluminium board with a 1mm thickness (JLCPCB). Tried to make "etched pot marks" but it is not as visible as I would like. Still a noticeable change in the texture though.

View attachment 49718View attachment 49719View attachment 49720
That looks awesome! I love the effect there.

For a hobbyist, I’m happy with the result. If I were selling them in some form, then I’d like a higher finish quality even though nobody notices when they’re on the floor.

Face plate looks great! I'd love to get my hands on the Gerbers for it, I built this one from your repo and it sounds fantastic, also deserving of a nice enclosure and face plate for sure!
Man, I've been behind on things:
This is made for JLCPCB, so specify a location for the build code.

Great and thanks. Love your work!
Awesome work! I need to try JLCPCB for faceplates. @szukalski - do you up load the text as images from other software?
I added some template DipTrace faceplates on my DipTrace library repository:
Font is Stray Gosling (also in the repo) because Font Monkey has my love.

Back