ENCLOSURE WATERSLIDE DECAL TUTORIAL/JOURNAL & TIPS

Cybercow

I get asked about enclosure finishing a lot in DMs from people I don't even know. So I thought to write up a tutorial/journal of waterslide decal creation and application to share for those new to waterslides for their pedals.

Waterslide decals are just one of several ways to apply artwork to an enclosure. When I started doing waterslides, I did a bit searching thru Google to see what others before me had to say on the matter. The first link I found was to this YouTube demonstration of how to do waterslides with an inkjet printer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2X_HL-4F90
There are several other such demonstrative tutorials on YouTube. A little searching there using "waterslide decals for guitar pedals" will get you more.

Note that waterslide stock comes in four (4) flavors: InkJet Clear BG, InkJet White BG, Laser Clear BG and Laser White BG

There is no white ink. Period. At least not for inkjet printers and other consumer grade printers. There are some laser jet printers that can receive a white toner cartridge. However, those white toner cartridges are more expensive than the printer. But with white-background waterslide decals stock, one can compensate for the lack of white ink when using a dark colored enclosure; but then matching a graphic's background to the enclosure color adds an interesting challenge.

The YouTube video link above was enough for me to get started. He covers a lot of the bases and in his case uses InkScape (a graphics application) to create his artwork. Personally, I like and use Photoshop. I recommend it for newcomers to waterslide decals.

I like to do a test print or two on regular cheap plain white paper in just black ink (so as not to use up too much colored ink), then cut the plain-paper print to size, place on the enclosure, re-measure all the hardware drill points and compensate for knob sizes. Then go back to the graphics software and move any design elements accordingly. That procedure lets me pinpoint where the LED and other small bits of hardware will be on the final waterslide decal stock printout.

Once I have the enclosure drilled and fit-tested the guts (circuit board and other hardware (pots & toggles), I can then make any adjustments to the artwork before committing the more expensive waterslide stock. After ALL the artwork adjustments and test-fitting the guts, I’ll print the artwork onto the waterslide stock. When I first started with waterslides, I had an inkjet printer. I learned rather quickly that inkjet waterslide printouts need at least 24 to completely dry before clear-coating the artwork. An important point to note is that the printed artwork on the waterslide MUST be clear-coated BEFORE cutting it size. Otherwise, the clear-coat will seal the edges and the waterslide will NOT release from the backing paper when soaked. A note on clear-coating: It takes some practice and trial & error. You need enough to seal and protect the artwork, but not too thick. I always print two decals in case I screw up. And don’t use cheap rattle-can clear coat. I like to use an automotive clear-coat brand like Dupli-Color. It’s more expensive than Krylon and some other brands, but you get what you pay for.

So with the clear-coated artwork on the slide prepped and ready to apply, I use warm (not hot) water with one or two drops of Dawn dish soap. The Dawn acts as a bit of surficant to improve the adhesion of the decal to the enclosure.

Micro-Sol_Micro-Set.png I also prefer to use an actual surficant like MicroScale “Micro Sol” and/or “Micro Set”. The Micro Set is for smooth surfaces to soften & improve adhesion, and the Micro Sol is for non-smooth, rougher surfaces and softened the decal a bit more to conform to irregular surfaces. I just use a small artist paint brush to apply either of these solutions directly to the surface of the enclosure. A little really goes a long way. Don’t over do it.

After soaking the decal and applying to the enclosure surface, there are a precious few moments to move it around to the correct position. There may or may not be air bubbles. If there are don’t worry. Just have an old credit card or other bit of stiff plastic with a straight edge to gently (can’t emphasize “gently” enough here) work any bubbles or wrinkles from the center, outwards. There have been instance where I really FUBAR’d the application of the decal and had corners fold underneath. Even then, don’t worry. Just use a toothpick to unfold the folded portion and get it back in place.

With the surficant solutions I often noticed how the decal would wrinkle and/or “bubble” in places AFTER I’d already worked out all the real bubbles when first applying. This really freaked me out.
April_2018_Decal_Application_2.jpg LEAVE THEM! When the decal fully dries, it will contract slightly, pulling everything down flat to the enclosure. Just let it fully dry. And if it doesn’t lay flat when fully dry, don’t sweat it. Just remove the poorly adhered decal and start over. Remember, it’s a process and takes time, patience and some trial & error. I’ve made many mistakes and ruined many decals. It’s part of the game.
As you can see in this photo, the decals settled right down, laid perfect flat and are ready for the final protective finish. April_2018_AfterClearSpray-2_Coats_Minwax.jpg

Eventually, my inkjet printer died and I upgraded to a color laser jet. The benefit of a laser jet with waterslides is that there is no wait time for drying. It can be clear-coated almost immediately after coming out of the printer. Some people don’t bother with clear-coating laser jet waterslides. But I prefer to still add a couple light coats of clear before proceeding to the application stage.

Once the decal is applied and dried nicely on the enclosure, there are a few different ways to more protection to the artwork. Some people like to add several more clear-coats. Others will use a good clear epoxy to cover the artwork. In the video link above, he uses (and I like this method too) MinWax Natural (Clear) furniture paste - about a dozen thin coats. It makes a good finish and allows for fingerprints and small scratches to easily be buffed out. You can choose which process you want for final finishing.

These were all done with the MinWax finishing process: CE-2_ChoralReef_Mini-Me_Done.jpg Pedals_In_May_01.jpg Vibe-n-Trem.jpg

Once the enclosure drilling, artwork decal and clear covering is finished, stuff that puppy with your circuit & other hardware and test your build.

And TBH, recently, I’ve taken to having my enclosures professionally drilled and UV painted by AmplifyFun. I was using Tayda for a while, but I never got the hang of vector graphics or their strict graphics policies. So I’m not doing much with waterslides lately. So I hope this short dissertation of my personal waterslide journey/tutorial can help anyone who is looking to get started with waterslide application for their pedal enclosures.

Thanks for reading. Happy building!

Last edited:
thanks for posting this. i've been doing waterslides decals for years and I had no idea they made waterslide decal paper with white background. ive been going to fairly elaborate lengths painting the white in hahaha thank you

Once the decal is applied and dried nicely on the enclosure, there are a few different ways to more protection to the artwork. Some people like to add several more clear-coats. Others will use a good clear epoxy to cover the artwork. In the video link above, he uses (and I like this method too) MinWax Natural (Clear) furniture paste - about a dozen thin coats. It makes a good finish and allows for fingerprints and small scratches to easily be buffed out. You can choose which process you want for final finishing.

These were all done with the MinWax finishing process:

OK, so I’m about to embark down this road – but had a question about the above, especially since I’m not really in a living arrangement where I have the spare room or outdoors to spray clearcoat. When you speak of finishing with Minwax, do you mean only applying it after your other chosen post – application method of protection, or do you use it in lieu of, for example, applying several coats of poly or other clearcoat once you have applied the decal? Just a little confused because in the video, it doesn’t replace applying all the post— application clearcoating but instead just a final step after all that. Hoping that you will say that the minwax can replace those other post application procedures.

One other question – reading reviews of the minwax, some people are complaining that it has a slight yellow tinge rather than being perfectly clear. Have you experienced that/had any problems with it?

Thank you for the great tutorial!

Mike

OK, so I’m about to embark down this road – but had a question about the above, especially since I’m not really in a living arrangement where I have the spare room or outdoors to spray clearcoat. When you speak of finishing with Minwax, do you mean only applying it after your other chosen post – application method of protection, or do you use it in lieu of, for example, applying several coats of poly or other clearcoat once you have applied the decal? Just a little confused because in the video, it doesn’t replace applying all the post— application clearcoating but instead just a final step after all that. Hoping that you will say that the minwax can replace those other post application procedures.

One other question – reading reviews of the minwax, some people are complaining that it has a slight yellow tinge rather than being perfectly clear. Have you experienced that/had any problems with it?

Thank you for the great tutorial!

Mike
Even when I use the Natural Minwax paste, I still find it helpful to apply at least one good coat of clear spray to enclosure once the decal has completely dried. After that has dried for a day, I will then apply a dozen or so thin coats of Minwax, buffing handily between applications and about 15 to 20 minutes of dry time between the Minwax coats. I have done a few pedals where the only clear coat spray was applied to the decal after it dried from the printer, before cutting it to size and soaking. So, after the clear-coated decal has been applied to the enclosure (and dried thoroughly) it can be Minwaxed without extra coats of clear spray.

I still have a few pedals that are now going on 4 years old that show no sign of yellowing. Even tho the "Natural" Minwax paste appears yellow in the can, it dries and remains clear after buffing and applying more coats. I've not tried other brands.

Even when I use the Natural Minwax paste, I still find it helpful to apply at least one good coat of clear spray to enclosure once the decal has completely dried. After that has dried for a day, I will then apply a dozen or so thin coats of Minwax, buffing handily between applications and about 15 to 20 minutes of dry time between the Minwax coats. I have done a few pedals where the only clear coat spray was applied to the decal after it dried from the printer, before cutting it to size and soaking. So, after the clear-coated decal has been applied to the enclosure (and dried thoroughly) it can be Minwaxed without extra coats of clear spray.

I still have a few pedals that are now going on 4 years old that show no sign of yellowing. Even tho the "Natural" Minwax paste appears yellow in the can, it dries and remains clear after buffing and applying more coats. I've not tried other brands.
Thank you very much for the detail reply!

Mike

I wasn‘t real sure where to post this but this seemed like the best spot. I recently got some Koala waterslide paper off Amazon for laser printers. In the past I always used an inkjet but we no longer have one. This was my first time using the laser printer for waterslides and I was very disappointed. I am pretty certain this paper just sucks. The ink smeared on all the sheets i tried. Never seen that on a laser printer and it only did it on the waterslide paper not my test runs. I tried different printer paper settings as well just to rule it out. After i got a kinda decent (still not quality) print one got it on my enclosure. It was really difficult to get it off the backing paper and I followed there instructions to a T. Once i got it on my enclosure and got most of the wrinkles and bubbles out some of the sticker portions faded. For good measure i just let it ride and let it sit for 24 hours. I always put just a little clear top coat on the stickers after it settles and drys on the enclosure even though its not supposed to be required for laser paper. This process has always worked for me in the past. The paper was 100% dry but once the clear hit it it shriveled up and bunched in multiple spots. Needless to say I am not a fan of the Koala paper. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case you have thought about using it. Two thumbs down.

I wasn‘t real sure where to post this but this seemed like the best spot. I recently got some Koala waterslide paper off Amazon for laser printers. In the past I always used an inkjet but we no longer have one. This was my first time using the laser printer for waterslides and I was very disappointed. I am pretty certain this paper just sucks. The ink smeared on all the sheets i tried. Never seen that on a laser printer and it only did it on the waterslide paper not my test runs. I tried different printer paper settings as well just to rule it out. After i got a kinda decent (still not quality) print one got it on my enclosure. It was really difficult to get it off the backing paper and I followed there instructions to a T. Once i got it on my enclosure and got most of the wrinkles and bubbles out some of the sticker portions faded. For good measure i just let it ride and let it sit for 24 hours. I always put just a little clear top coat on the stickers after it settles and drys on the enclosure even though its not supposed to be required for laser paper. This process has always worked for me in the past. The paper was 100% dry but once the clear hit it it shriveled up and bunched in multiple spots. Needless to say I am not a fan of the Koala paper. I just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case you have thought about using it. Two thumbs down.

Sorry to hear that that happened; I know that it can be terribly frustrating. I did my first waterslide decals this weekend using the Sunnyscopa laser jet paper that someone else recommended on this forum and it worked great. Perhaps try that.

I will say that, although it was recommended to put clearcoat on LaserJet paper even though it is not needed, I got better results getting it to lay down properly when I did not apply the clearcoat. The clearcoat made it a little stiffer so it went on more easily without wrinkles– but then it was not easy to use decal solvent like Microsol because the clearcoat made the decal impermeable. So, if you want to add clearcoat, I would wait until after the decal has been applied and dried (if using LaserJet paper).

Mike

IMG_9219.jpeg

I’ve never had any issues with koala paper. I’m fact, I prefer it. The biggest thing for me is humidity, it plays hell with clear coat on water slide paper.
I feel this. First when I was applying clearcoat to the decal paper, and then when I found I needed to actually clearcoat the enclosure because it wasn’t quite glossy enough for the decals, I wasn’t able to do it outside because humidity was around 90%. I ended up having to put tarps up in one of my bathrooms and spraying it in the shower. That was a heck of a lot of work for one 8.5“ x 11“ piece of decal paper and one 1590 BB enclosure.

M

It could be the humidity. I did do it at 630 in the morning though so it wasn't hot or humid yet. It just shriveled up like a salted snail, lol. the ink fading and smearing was new to me as well. i may have just got a bad batch or it doesn't like my printer. I may just stick to my brother label maker until i get better in lightburn. Thats my endgame anyway.

Sorry to hear that that happened; I know that it can be terribly frustrating. I did my first waterslide decals this weekend using the Sunnyscopa laser jet paper that someone else recommended on this forum and it worked great. Perhaps try that.

I will say that, although it was recommended to put clearcoat on LaserJet paper even though it is not needed, I got better results getting it to lay down properly when I did not apply the clearcoat. The clearcoat made it a little stiffer so it went on more easily without wrinkles– but then it was not easy to use decal solvent like Microsol because the clearcoat made the decal impermeable. So, if you want to add clearcoat, I would wait until after the decal has been applied and dried (if using LaserJet paper).

Mike

View attachment 52672
I like your transfers!

Which sunnyscopa did you use?

Laser Film free
LFilmFreeUSL_1997x1997.png
Or

Laser Waterslide decal paper (white)
LaserClearUSL_1997x1997.png

I did these two with film-free with white toner, but I want brighter whites.
Screenshot_20230719_122613_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230719_122623_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I like your transfers!

Which sunnyscopa did you use?

Laser Film free
View attachment 52708
Or

Laser Waterslide decal paper (white)
View attachment 52709

I did these two with film-free with white toner, but I want brighter whites.
View attachment 52710View attachment 52711
Thanks - I used the clear Sunnyscopa laserjet waterslide decal paper (not film-free, not white backing). I'm going to try the film-free next. To get the color on the lettering of the Paisley Drive to reproduce properly, I painted that area of the enclosure white before applying the clear decal over it so that the lettering is laying over a white backing.

Yours look great! return question: how much did the white toner cost? I've heard it can be quite expensive but haven't even seen it for sale anywhere.

Mike

Back