DEMO Emerald Phaser-Redux

This post contains an audio or video demo

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
This is not my first time building this pedal, but I did go about it different this time. The first time I built it I used a matched smd jfets set from Aion. This go round, I decided to go through 50 smd mmbf5457 I had on hand and make my own sets, I posted some pics in the workbench thread recently and it was worth it because in the end I think it turned out great.
spiderman-willem-dafoe.gif

This is one of two concurrent builds and is going to my homie @blackhatboojum Clinton is one hell of a guy and I wanted to make him one for father's day. He's the only person stuck in the past with me when it comes to pedals and we often talk about the nuances of old analog pedals, especially modulation and delay. Last year we took a deep dive on the phase90 and built some that incorporated mods that we discussed and implemented in our builds. That lead to me building the PH-1R and Clinton has always wanted to try one after I described it as the "deluxe" phase90, and I stand by that statement.

Other than the hand sorting tiny jfets the build was simple and straightforward with simple calibration. I wanted to make this one different from my last build of this which featured a green enclosure with Man-Thing, so this time I used a matte black enclosure and went with a green goblin theme. None more green, I used a green LED, small bear wire and green boss style knobs. Really happy with how it turned out and I hope he enjoys it. The other build which I need to box up still, is going on a dedicated bass board because this phaser is also killer on my Pbass. Quick sound clip I recorded while fine tuning the bias trimmer shows the phaser clean and with overdrive before my OD-1 build. If you're looking for a versatile phaser that's not ota or optical I highly recommend this.
yFkQGJg.jpg
tHKwr6z.jpg
SS7rtKc.jpeg

Last edited:
All the green! This thing looks and sound great man! The goblin head has to be one of my favorite graphics you have done… how you nailed the metallics in there just makes it pop.! 👑 One of my biggest complaints about the phase 90 is the one knob lack of tone shaping, makes me rethink a Jfet phaser.

Looks like a great build! Good job!

One question. Looks like the foot switch isn't soldered to the breakout board...or am I missing something? :p

Looks like a great build! Good job!

One question. Looks like the foot switch isn't soldered to the breakout board...or am I missing something? :p
I don't flood switches with solder. It would take an unreasonable amount of force to break the solder at the lugs since the footswitch is mounted to the enclosure. This also makes replacing switches much easier and less likely to damage the board during replacement. But just in case you don't believe me here are all points of solder.
Screenshot_20230605-140041.png

I don't flood switches with solder. It would take an unreasonable amount of force to break the solder at the lugs since the footswitch is mounted to the enclosure. This also makes replacing switches much easier and less likely to damage the board during replacement. But just in case you don't believe me here are all points of solder.
View attachment 49918
That's what I figured you were doing. Good way of doing it I think. Definitely makes it easier to replace switches. :D

Back