Six String Stinger (Vertex Steel String Clean Drive)

geoffrey

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I'm late to the game when it comes to a lot of pedals, and this is one of them. Like most people, I've never played a Dumble. Before I started building I had a Caline Enchanted Tone (supposedly a Dumble clone type deal) and didn't really care for it so I got rid of it. That being said, I had no idea this was supposed to be a Dumble clone when someone sparked my interest in it...just thought it was tone-shaping light OD that was supposed have multiple applications. What sold me was a video of it being stacked with a Lightspeed, and those of you that know me know how much I adore my Mach 1. Thus, I had to build it.

Classic PedalPCB layout as far as ease is concern, and it's a straightforward build. I socketed the Fairchild J201s, which I got from Barry over at guitarpcb.com and they sound great.

Went with a Tayda pearl grey enclosure. I told my 4 year old daughter she could pick the knobs. Big surprise regarding her selection :ROFLMAO:

It's a cool pedal. Really fattens the tone of my Strat and Tele (definitely not a transparent OD). It's lightness and tone shaping ability alone could make it an "always on" pedal for some players, as it does have plenty of preamp-esque qualities. As far as stacking it with a Mach 1, it didn't disappoint. In fact, it's "stackability" with other OD's is where this pedal really shines for me. It sounded great with my Mach 1, ODR-1, and Silver (Barber Silver LTD). It didn't really play well with my RAT, however, but not a big deal.

Satisfying build and a fun pedal. Don't think it'll have a permanent spot on my board, but it'll be in rotation. Worth your time IMHO.

IMG_9031.jpg

IMG_9030.jpg

Great build! Can you tell me why this doesn't play nice with a Rat? What does it sound like?
Sorry for not replying...I saw this and then forgot.

When I stacked it with a Rat, the sounds ranged from muddy, Farty, to "Gatey,." It took forever but I eventually found a setting on the Rat that sounded halfway decent with it,

Anyone else tried stacking it with a Rat?

Back