Candlestick salad (Curds and whey)

Mentaltossflycoon

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I wanted to participate in the @fig contest but I'm not skilled in that way. I thought I'd build up a favorite circuit but use as much @fig inspired bits as I could get my hands on. My first prunes circuit, a fuzzdog dirt dessert went into a large trapezoid enclosure along with a bad mofo and a fat pig.

I've considered the prunes and custard a staple on my board ever since I built it. Not that I over use it but it's always there for getting just a little weird. I've also made a few spotted dicks to give to friends. The fuzzdog and effects layouts all sounded the same to me. The curds sounds better. Perhaps it's a parts tolerance thing but this one's thicker, especially when 100% wet. I've been wanting one in a 125b for quite a while so I'm very happy that this one happens to sound the best.

I had a bad blend pot at first (I've had several bunk-ass b50k lately) but it was an easy troubleshoot.
Screenshot_20230531_231933.jpg Screenshot_20230531_224556.jpg
I went with the neutron star enclosure from the group buy. It's hard to photograph but they are beautiful. Enjoy a back shot.

Screenshot_20230531_224609.jpg

AI prompts got a little out there. This one included "candlestick salad" because curds and whey reminded me of this vintage recipe my mom told me about having often as a kid.

Wtf...
Why did they have to make the banana MORE phallic?
Screenshot_20230531-231616_Chrome.jpg

banana-yellow.gif

Wh3D.gif

FatherlyDampGemsbok-size_restricted.gif

I wanted to participate in the @fig contest but I'm not skilled in that way. I thought I'd build up a favorite circuit but use as much @fig inspired bits as I could get my hands on. My first prunes circuit, a fuzzdog dirt dessert went into a large trapezoid enclosure along with a bad mofo and a fat pig.

I've considered the prunes and custard a staple on my board ever since I built it. Not that I over use it but it's always there for getting just a little weird. I've also made a few spotted dicks to give to friends. The fuzzdog and effects layouts all sounded the same to me. The curds sounds better. Perhaps it's a parts tolerance thing but this one's thicker, especially when 100% wet. I've been wanting one in a 125b for quite a while so I'm very happy that this one happens to sound the best.

I had a bad blend pot at first (I've had several bunk-ass b50k lately) but it was an easy troubleshoot.
View attachment 49607View attachment 49604
I went with the neutron star enclosure from the group buy. It's hard to photograph but they are beautiful. Enjoy a back shot.

View attachment 49605

AI prompts got a little out there. This one included "candlestick salad" because curds and whey reminded me of this vintage recipe my mom told me about having often as a kid.

Wtf...
Why did they have to make the banana MORE phallic?
View attachment 49608
THAT SALAD
😳😳😳😳

I know my memory has a few potholes but when did I build that beauty? Oh wait....marvelous! :love:

From the DALE resistors and the tantalums, all the way to the purple pot condom's majesty!

...and THAT SALAD!!! :ROFLMAO: (just to reiterate David's thoughts) :)

I remember when I used to work all night on a drink of rum, loading bananas. At least I'd imagine it listening to Harry. All that potential for Bananas Foster...mmm

Thank you! 😘

Small update. Yesterday, I got to do a comparison with all 3 of the prunes inspired circuits I've built and they all sounded very different. All the have the sweeping filter thing but the difference between the curds and fuzzdog dirt dessert are doubled with the spotted dick. I built them all stock but the spotted dick is so much brighter than the curds that they agonist sound like different topology. Again, I attribute this mostly to parts tolerances but perhaps there's something else going on there. I look forward to schematic day.

The dirt dessert was a kit (medium), spotted dick was normal average tayda parts (thin) l, curds with the fancy bits(fat).

Small update. Yesterday, I got to do a comparison with all 3 of the prunes inspired circuits I've built and they all sounded very different. All the have the sweeping filter thing but the difference between the curds and fuzzdog dirt dessert are doubled with the spotted dick. I built them all stock but the spotted dick is so much brighter than the curds that they agonist sound like different topology. Again, I attribute this mostly to parts tolerances but perhaps there's something else going on there. I look forward to schematic day.

The dirt dessert was a kit (medium), spotted dick was normal average tayda parts (thin) l, curds with the fancy bits(fat).
I don't have a Dirt Dessert anymore, but comparing the Dick to the Curds, I felt the same. I never actually boxed the dick up because it sounded so tinny compared to what I was used to with the Prunes topology.

I'd have to reverse a bunch of mods on the Spotted Dick at this point to do a shootout, but the Curds has been my favorite iteration, and the only one to make it to my board

I didn't change any values just ordered Dale resistors, tantalum instead of electrolytic, and wima film caps. @DGWVI had some opamp alternatives in his curds build report so that's worth a look. I didn't have any of the suggested chips so I just kept it tl072

It sounds so different that I'm convinced there must be a difference between the unit Robert traced and the one they did at effects layouts. I'm half tempted to build another curds with the cheapest tayda parts to compare.

I didn't change any values just ordered Dale resistors, tantalum instead of electrolytic, and wima film caps. @DGWVI had some opamp alternatives in his curds build report so that's worth a look. I didn't have any of the suggested chips so I just kept it tl072

Yep, swapping in other opamps cool in this circuit. The normal OD side of the mix pot isn't terribly effected, but the wavefolding half is. My favorite is still the MC1458

1000012805.jpg

Back