DEMO Thumbsucker Compressor (Engineers Thumb)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
As mentioned in my MBP Trash Compactor build report I have a couple more compressors to build.

This is one I've seen mentioned a lot with positive reviews.

I didn't have an OTA based compressor in my harem so decided it was high time to add one. The origins of this pedal is in the DIY community and it's not available retail afaik.

It uses an LM13700 for the compression and in @Robert 's layout it's a 5 knob compressor with Attack/Release Ratio and Threshold controls along with a toggle switch for a bright cap.

As expected there's a lot of squish on tap on this compressor. It actually sounds a lot like my Keeley Compressor, the only retail compressor I still have,
It's fairly neutral sounding but like most compressors, the more compression (in this case Ratio) you use, the more coloration and high end loss.
This is where the bright toggle comes into play and and it does a great job restoring some of the sparkle.

It sounds like a an OTA compressor, great compression, lots of squish aaaaaannnd....it's not for me. I can see where this would a super useful compressor for certain applications but I'm just not a huge fan of OTA compressors. Also as expected it's got a pretty high noise floor.
At the very end of my demo below, I'm just switching between the compressors with the Snozzberry Drive engaged to highlight the difference in idle noise between the Thumbsucker and the other compressors in the demo.

I have one more (I think) compressor to build and that should wrap up my current compressor building spree. In the final analysis, I don't think anything will be replacing my General Tso, although I'm liking the MBP Trash Compactor more and more and it will be staying on my board for now as an alternate (or in series) compressor.

Part of the reason I like using compressors as an always on pedal in my chain is because I mostly play at low volumes and even when using an attenuated tube amp, I like a bit of compression to make up for the natural compression that comes from cooking power tubes.

It's not just the clean tone and transparency I'm looking for but also how the compressor affects the tone under gain. Again in the demo, I recorded the same part with the Snozzberry with the same settings but using different compressors. I just like the way the General Tso sounds the best, with a close second being the Trash Compactor.

Having said all that, if you're looking for a squishy compressor and like the sound of compressors like the Wampler Ego and Keeley compressors I can highly recommend this build. Super easy build, not a ton of components.

Orange Sand Tayda enclosure.
IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5032.JPG

Another compressor demo......:)

Oh yeah, that compressor is nice. If I’m not mistaken, that’s a Merlin designed compressor. I have built a literal ton of comps but always kept the soul preacher on my board, once I discovered it. One worth checking out is the Emma transmogrifier. I built it on vero but can’t play like the demos.

I have one more (I think) compressor to build and that should wrap up my current compressor building spree.
You haven’t built an orange squeezer yet, have you? Better get on that, while the spree is still running! I think Madbean has a board for it. I know you’re a fellow Steely Dan fan— it’s *the* sound of My Old School and much of the rest of Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic, and Katy Lied

You haven’t built an orange squeezer yet, have you? Better get on that, while the spree is still running! I think Madbean has a board for it. I know you’re a fellow Steely Dan fan— it’s *the* sound of My Old School and much of the rest of Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic, and Katy Lied
I recall seeing an interview with Jay Graydon about using his Orange Squeeze on the solo in "Peg".

Last edited:
I recall seeing an interview with Jay Grayson about using his Orange Squeeze on the solo in "Peg".
Sounds about right. From what I’ve read, it seems that Fagen & Becker had a small stockpile of orange squeezers to have the session guys plug into whenever they were looking for a bit of a smoother punch to the guitar parts.

Not saying you're using it wrong, but for starters in my humble opinion you wouldn't want to ride the Attack knob that high when playing guitar. Maybe start by treating it like a two knob compressor. Put Attack to 0, Release to 4, Thresh to 10. Then just use the Ratio knob to dial it in and set the make-up gain (Level) to something that fits. Above settings on scale of 0 through 10, not o'clock.

Not saying you're using it wrong, but for starters in my humble opinion you wouldn't want to ride the Attack knob that high when playing guitar. Maybe start by treating it like a two knob compressor. Put Attack to 0, Release to 4, Thresh to 10. Then just use the Ratio knob to dial it in and set the make-up gain (Level) to something that fits. Above settings on scale of 0 through 10, not o'clock.
This is why I hate 5 knob (or more) compressors.....2-3 knobs is more my speed hahaha. Thanks for the tips!

I built this board and I don;t want to bother boxing it up. Who wants to deal with 5 knobs. All I need from a compressor is compression, makeup gain and blend, maybe a bright switch/tone knob if it gets muddy. And it must be cheaper than 200 euros, otherwise I'll just get the Keeley.
Which PPCB comp is like that?

I built this board and I don;t want to bother boxing it up. Who wants to deal with 5 knobs. All I need from a compressor is compression, makeup gain and blend, maybe a bright switch/tone knob if it gets muddy. And it must be cheaper than 200 euros, otherwise I'll just get the Keeley.
Which PPCB comp is like that?
General Tso all day long baby!!!:)

Back