Where to get this foam?

bean

The foam backing Tayda uses for sockets is absolutely perfect for the small number of ICs I send out with some projects. I've found other types but they are never quite the right size or thickness. Anyone have a recommendation on where to find this stuff? I use ESD bags so the foam itself doesn't need to be (those are too expensive anyway).

Attachments

• PXL_20230605_142101554.jpg
    PXL_20230605_142101554.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 46
Without digging some out to check, I’m pretty sure it’s a generic “ethyfoam.” I used to buy planks of it, and pretty sure they also sell it in sheet form, at U-line. That said, I stopped buying anything from U-line do to the owner’s politics. Here’s a link to some 1/4 inch sheeting from McMaster Carr. I’ll look through my suppliers lists to see if I had a specific replacement source. Very often, larger cities have suppliers that sell “insulation” foam, that will carry planks (and possibly sheets) of ethyfoam. So this should help refine your search.

Going to possibly correct myself—the ethyfoam definitely works, but it is semi rigid, and I’m thinking that the foam Tayda uses is rigid. I did a quick search, and am not coming up with sheets under 1/2 inch thick, for styrofoam (not “bead board”, which is also called styrofoam). The foam insulation distributors can often cut sheets to spec, or, given the sizes you want (am thinking 2 inches by?) you could buy a 2 inch thick plank, and slice strips at whatever thickness you want on a bandsaw (or get a friendly shop to do this for you). At 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick, any of these will be easy to knife cut into smaller pieces.

Could this work? 3/16 is close on the thickness.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will check the Carr McMaster stuff. I have a feeling the Tayda stuff is just bone-cheap thin Styrofoam/Polystyrene. Maybe I should also consider something sustainable like a cardboard substrate that is more easily degradable.

Foam-core board might work too.
No, you need to be able to easily puncture the “skin” with DIP legs (or whatever) and foam core is maybe a bit too tough for that.

It is just a 1/4 inch thick slice of styrene (or other rigid polymer) foam. Finding sheets from distributors at 1/4 inch (1/2 inch was easy) didnt happen on some quick searches I did. There are eBay sources for boxes of 12 x12 inch sheets of 1/4 inch that weren’t too expensive.

What about 10-day shipping, or even overnight?

Sorry, can't help it. I see stuff posted and my brain just flips it, mangles it and ...

To the point of the topic though, I could use a bit more of this stuff, too. My supply of it from Tayda has about run out and I'm not even shipping out stuff like OPer Bean.

Does it have to be rigid?

or

Last edited:
Back