DEMO Sproing (R. Rockett Boing)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Well I needed a DIY reverb pedal for my amp rig. I'm planning to build another Gravitation for it to match my desktop signal chain but I've been sitting on this Sproing board for a while now, so I decided I'd try this first.

I've built the Sproing Deluxe which has this circuit in it, but I've heard a few folks say that the standalone version sounds slightly better.
The Sproing Deluxe is a great pedal!

Anyway, not sure exactly why but side by side the standalone Sproing does sound slightly different to me. I mean, you're not going to mistake this for a true spring reverb but I use so very little reverb that I doubt you would be able to hear a difference in my signal chain.

Super simple build and it will suffice until I get around to building the Gravitation.

IMG_4707.JPG

I had a wee boo boo on the output jack. I smelled it before I saw it heh.....a but out of character for me, but I'm leaving it in, if for nothing else, just a dose of humility:)

IMG_4706.JPG

Oh and first time using my "Michael Wong Limited Edition" breakout boards. designed by Mr. SheepyLuv himself, @szukalski !

IMG_4706 copy.JPG

Good golly.. have you kept up with how many successful build you've had? I think we started around the same time and you've posted a gazillion more awesome builds... I'm a bit behind... I have 4-5 builds I haven't posted yet.

Super clean verb!

I like the raw solid-core thing you've got going on this build.

Is the standalone Sproing really that much better than the Sproing Deluxe, or is it confirmation bias?
I've got the Deluxe and due to the backlog of builds really don't want the Sproing to be better than its Deluxe counterpart. 😸

Super clean verb!

I like the raw solid-core thing you've got going on this build.

Is the standalone Sproing really that much better than the Sproing Deluxe, or is it confirmation bias?
I've got the Deluxe and due to the backlog of builds really don't want the Sproing to be better than its Deluxe counterpart. 😸
Um.....not really, they sound about the same after A/B'ing.....I'm easily biased....... :ROFLMAO:

Curious. I just built this last night. I feel like the reverb effect is so little with the knob all the way up.

I wired it a little diff than you, with the jacks going direct to the breakout board. Do you think this would have any effect on the actual effect?

@randalhicks I don't think the the off board wiring would effect the amount of reverb. That said, it's not a super wet reverb. It tends to sound "tinny" to me with it cranked.

I've built both this and the Deluxe version and the reverb is about the same. I currently have mine running in my amp effects loop and if I need a super wet "Gilmour-ish" sound I need to max it. How little is "so little"?

I can record a clip of mine with it cranked for you, maybe it's just the way it is?

@randalhicks I don't think the the off board wiring would effect the amount of reverb. That said, it's not a super wet reverb. It tends to sound "tinny" to me with it cranked.

I've built both this and the Deluxe version and the reverb is about the same. I currently have mine running in my amp effects loop and if I need a super wet "Gilmour-ish" sound I need to max it. How little is "so little"?

I can record a clip of mine with it cranked for you, maybe it's just the way it is?
I probably just expected more? lol. I will record something on it when I get a chance. Thanks for the quick reply!! Going to assume it is working as intended atm and maybe mess with it down the road.

I probably just expected more? lol. I will record something on it when I get a chance. Thanks for the quick reply!! Going to assume it is working as intended atm and maybe mess with it down the road.
I'm building a couple pedals at the moment that I'll be recording a demo for later. I'll try to remember to grab a quick demo for you and we can compare notes.

Edit: On the Sproing I mean...

@randalhicks

Ok, here's a quick demo of the Sproing in the efx loop of my Frenzel amp. On the right is a buffered loop that's for my VHT D-Fifty Dumble style amp that has a passive loop. The Frenzel has a tube buffered loop but I just leave the buffered loop pedal on for both amps.
With my dual Deluxe Memory Man pedals, I use very little reverb.

As I mentioned, it's not a very pronounced reverb and doesn't really get as wet as a real spring reverb.

This whole subject reminds me that I need to build the Gravitation reverb for this pedalboard.

I wonder if this pedal is wet enough Reverb for surf music? From your demo it sounds like it's pretty darn close. Once again Michael thank you very much for sharing
Gator

Last edited:
Back