Ungula Build

D1chotomy

I am really pleased with the way this one came out. It's my 4th PedalPCB build and definitely feel like it's my best. I took my time, measured and re-measured and luckily it all came together and fired up on the first try. Now, some of my internal component placement and wiring still leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm getting there. I love this pedal. It was just what I was looking for in a fuzz! Not sure what do to about labeling the POTS though. Anyone have any suggestions that would keep it clean looking?

Attachments

• Ungula_1.png
    Ungula_1.png
    320 KB · Views: 134
  • Ungula_2.png
    Ungula_2.png
    767.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Ungula_3.png
    Ungula_3.png
    386.1 KB · Views: 133
I like that you socketed the top transistors (for experimenting I assume). But I recommend soldering them for the long term, otherwise they’re likely to fall out at some point. (ICs don’t really have a problem though since they fit tighter in the socket).

in case that was not clear -- you can solder the transistors into the sockets. and usually do it lightly, or only solder the middle leg if you want to leave open the idea of switching transistors later.

in case that was not clear -- you can solder the transistors into the sockets. and usually do it lightly, or only solder the middle leg if you want to leave open the idea of switching transistors later.
Actually It wasn't clear to my pea brain at first. Totally get it now. Thanks to both of you.

Not sure what do to about labeling the POTS though. Anyone have any suggestions that would keep it clean looking?

Take a look at the other pedals in Build Reports. There are quite a few different methods employed. Some simple, some a little more involved.

Which transistors did you put in the sockets?

Take a look at the other pedals in Build Reports. There are quite a few different methods employed. Some simple, some a little more involved.

Which transistors did you put in the sockets?

Hey there, thanks for replying. I think on this one, because it has such a clean look, I may try to use a clear tape label maker and just pray I get them on straight. I could always paint them on, too.

The socketed transistors are MPAS13's and then the other two are 2N3904. So... partial Cleft Mod? I guess not as I used all 4 LED's. I used what I had, but I think it sounds killer.

Reactions: gri
Hey there, thanks for replying. I think on this one, because it has such a clean look, I may try to use a clear tape label maker and just pray I get them on straight. I could always paint them on, too.

The socketed transistors are MPAS13's and then the other two are 2N3904. So... partial Cleft Mod? I guess not as I used all 4 LED's. I used what I had, but I think it sounds killer.

I did the same. just trouble shootin mine,. MPAS13 and 2N3904. but i omit the 470P cap as per cleft mod and went 2 RED led / 2 cleft Diode. and im having a hum issue. checked all my grounds. and its super sputtering like starving for juice. the led barely light up if at all. should i try your combo perhaps. i assumed the combo of transistors would work.. any advice appreciated

I did the same. just trouble shootin mine,. MPAS13 and 2N3904. but i omit the 470P cap as per cleft mod and went 2 RED led / 2 cleft Diode. and im having a hum issue. checked all my grounds. and its super sputtering like starving for juice. the led barely light up if at all. should i try your combo perhaps. i assumed the combo of transistors would work.. any advice appreciated

Worth a shot, I suppose. Mine is quiet actually. No hum or unwanted noise at all. So, maybe I just got lucky. I did not omit the 470P, used 4 red LED's and then the transistor combo you mentioned. I really, really love this pedal. I hope it works out for you.

Worth a shot, I suppose. Mine is quiet actually. No hum or unwanted noise at all. So, maybe I just got lucky. I did not omit the 470P, used 4 red LED's and then the transistor combo you mentioned. I really, really love this pedal. I hope it works out for you.

well if it works for you i may try your combo then. someone told me the MPS are crazy high gain and i might be pushing to much. but it sounds starved like no sustain wants to die. dead battery velcro sound.

Attachments

• 101373014_10163565615940463_8157490058841030656_o.jpg
    101373014_10163565615940463_8157490058841030656_o.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 36

The LEDs are not supposed to light up, the current in them is very low.

If you need help troubleshooting, see you in the Troubleshooting forum.

The LEDs are not supposed to light up, the current in them is very low.

If you need help troubleshooting, see you in the Troubleshooting forum.

thanks. im fairly new this is my 3rd build previous included rats so LED for clipping lit up bright. assumed was similar case. with diodes removed still makes no difference in starved sputtery quiet sound. so assuming it lies elsewhere

When these are built right, they work right. You can just keep swapping parts hoping that something good will happen, or you can make sure you built it right. VISUAL INSPECTION is a much better way to troubleshoot than blindly changing parts. Verify all parts match the BOM. Check orientation of diodes, transistors, electrolytic caps. Check your solder joints. Visit the Troubleshooting forum and read how other people fixed their pedals.

looking at your transistors. the MPSA13 you have them orientated the same way as the 2 bellow? flat side bottom. of the pcb? this could be my problem. i think i have emiter and collector reversed.

When these are built right, they work right. You can just keep swapping parts hoping that something good will happen, or you can make sure you built it right. VISUAL INSPECTION is a much better way to troubleshoot than blindly changing parts. Verify all parts match the BOM. Check orientation of diodes, transistors, electrolytic caps. Check your solder joints. Visit the Troubleshooting forum and read how other people fixed their pedals.

If all that and the troubleshooting forums don't help, you just gotta swear a buttload..., then let your brain obsesse on what could be the source of the problem to a point where even in a conversation with your significant other you just stop listening and start troubleshooting in your head... Then , when your finally out of ideas, you keep the board and forget about it ... A couple of weeks later your gonna have the great though of " hey... I am pretty sure I can figure it out".... Repeat all of the above from the swearing part, this usually happens 1 to 3 times... 4 if it's a circuit you really wanna have. Then after all of that ...you place it in your box o shame and try never to think about again xD...

But the troubleshooting forums usually work great ^^ if it's just your 3rd build let me welcome you to the hobby :) it's a hole bucket of fun :D just get that box of shame ready!

looking at your transistors. the MPSA13 you have them orientated the same way as the 2 bellow? flat side bottom. of the pcb? this could be my problem. i think i have emiter and collector reversed.

Your MPSA13's are in backwards. Flip em around and I bet it works.

Back