Distortr

I think he's taking the pith. :cool:

You wanna be careful making pedals with an orange man motif. People might not think of citrus. FWIW I believe that in Malay "orang" means man, as in orang utan: man of the forest. So "Sir Orang" might mean "sir man".

Or maybe I'm reading too much into this. I like your graphics!

Thanks daddy. Thats what the D stands for right? jk jk

one of these days ill start shrink wrapping all the connections... not sure what happened there.

This build actually turned out quite a bit noisier than my last. Any idea why that might be?

You wanna be careful making pedals with an orange man motif. People might not think of citrus. FWIW I believe that in Malay "orang" means man, as in orang utan: man of the forest. So "Sir Orang" might mean "sir man".

Or maybe I'm reading too much into this. I like your graphics!

Just showing some fucking respect for Sir Man

Hiss and white noise. just a higher noise floor. the voices are comforting during self-isolation. and cheaper than cable.

MOSFETs can be noisy. If the noise is louder when DRIVE is cranked, then it's Q1. Might pay to hand-pick them in the future. Could also be the DRIVE pot. I got a noisy one from Mammoth a while back. Sometimes resistors or caps can be noisy, but not too likely with film Rs & Cs.

MOSFETs can be noisy. If the noise is louder when DRIVE is cranked, then it's Q1. Might pay to hand-pick them in the future. Could also be the DRIVE pot. I got a noisy one from Mammoth a while back. Sometimes resistors or caps can be noisy, but not too likely with film Rs & Cs.
by "hand pick" do you mean just socketing them and doing trial and error? or is there some kind of quantifiable test i can do beforehand

You can measure the noise with a scope, but a listening test is as good or better. I would breadboard the first stage, with the source lead grounded (no DRIVE pot) and use headphones to listen to it. I use one of those cheap rechargeable plug-into-the-guitar headphones amps as part of the bench check-out for pedals & breadboards.

Cool build! FYI, orang actually means person or human in Malay, so I guess it would be more like "Sir Human"!

I’m just about to build this and the resistors all look like they should be 1/8 instead of 1/4w. I see that folks have used 1/4 above in the gut shot and I’m sure I can manage, but are we all using too large of components? Even the silkscreen looks like the 1/8w design for the smaller body size.

its not a big deal to use 1/4w, they fit fine. just takes a smidge more attention. im not sure why the board is so small though. seems unnecessary.

I can make 1/4W resistors lie flat on these boards, but it takes some effort. Assembly is a lot easier with 1/8W resistors. You can buy 1/8W resistors from Tayda or Mouser, both have a quantity discount. Mouser has some values that Tayda doesn't carry. You can always fudge the values a little bit, use 1.82K instead of 1.8K, that sort of thing.

You wanna be careful making pedals with an orange man motif. People might not think of citrus.
Ha ha ha, you must be thinking of the Orange Guy who used to host The Apprentice. If I was going to name a pedal after a Game Show host, it would be someone respectable, like Alex Trebek or Groucho Marx.

Back