Nobelium Build 50kHz issue

Quoshy

Hi all,

been a huge fan of the Noble DI but never wanted to spend 2k and wait a year for the real deal to be shipped to Europe, so when I saw the Nobelium I immeadiately had to order the PCB and build it.

Was successful and I truly believe this thing has great potential but I noticed an issue which I wonder if it is a problem with the (power supply) design or just an issue I have.

There is a huge 50kHz issue with my build in the audio path (its not audible since its far greater than 20kHz) but I think it steals internal audio headroom making it sound worse than it could. It depends on the low voltage supply and is substantially worst at 12V supply compared to 9V.

Attached is my oscilloscope screenshot measuring the output jack voltage with no bass plugged into the input. Does anyone else see this 50kHz wave with their builds and is this hence a general issue presumably caused by the power supply design here?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240831_183242.jpg
    20240831_183242.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 9
It is the "feature" of the onboard PSU. A switched mode boost converter runs most probably on that 50kHz frequency. The problem is it is located very close to all the analog traces so it gets inducted on them. You might try redesigning it by finding optimal component values to have more efficient PSU with lower ripple but it will never be perfect. It is the price of having a physically small PSU in comparison to using a transformer for example.

Thanks. I noticed 2 problems with the sound I get with the Nobelium:
1.Missing dynamic range, specifically a light touch will not produce enough power, almost feels noise gated.
2. Low B-string too muddy

I could imagine this power supply issue is the reason for it cause that 50kHz noise has such a high level when amplified although its not audible, but just kills the audio headroom and buries the "payload" audio. Thatd be a pity, because the Nobelium has some weight and depth to the sound, especially the A- and D-strings of my basses sound awesome through it. And I do own a lot of high end bass preamps /DIs. The Nobelium would beat them if it wasnt for the 2 issues I notice in the sound. Maybe thats exactly the difference to the real Noble DI any professional will not accept soundwise.

Thanks. I noticed 2 problems with the sound I get with the Nobelium:
1.Missing dynamic range, specifically a light touch will not produce enough power, almost feels noise gated.
2. Low B-string too muddy
That sounds like there's something wrong with the pedal. Can I ask what power supply you're using with your Nobelium?

I'm using the power supply built into my Palmer pedalbay40 pedalboard. It was cheap and I dont think its good thats why Ive been thinking about getting a good pedal supply. But is the Nobelium internal PSU running at 50kHz or is it my Palmer?

Again its worst when I supply it with 12V DC from the Palmer. A digital multimeter shows a reading of >100mV rms on the output jack without any input plugged in. I noticed it cause my mixing board showed -15db input level with no volume coming from my bass which is a huge level and since its quiet I suspected either DC offset or >20kHz frequencies in my Nobeliums audio path. So I took a digital multimeter first and then the oscilloscope screenshot to find the 50khz culprit. With 9V supply my digital multimeter reads "only" 10mV on the output jack. I havent taken the oscilloscope but I'd expect the 50khz wave just to be 10x smaller here. I feel if I could get rid of the non audible noise in the audio path the Nobelium would unleash its full potential and become my main bass preamp a thats really a statement considering I'm used to some of the best pre's /DIs a bass player can own

Are you using the Palmer PWT-08 power supply ?

The best way to check the power supply noise issue is to hook the pedal up to a battery and run the test again, a car / motorcycle / ride on mower etc battery should be fine to supply a clean 12v supply.
If you can build a pedal you can work out how to do that.
Remember that the tube heaters are running direct of the supply so stay below 14.16V going into the pedal.
(Tubes can run at 12.6V +10% = 13.86V, and a drop of 0.3V across the 1N5817 diode = 14.16V max supply to the pedal)

Last edited:
I'm using the power supply built into my Palmer pedalbay40 pedalboard. It was cheap and I dont think its good thats why Ive been thinking about getting a good pedal supply. But is the Nobelium internal PSU running at 50kHz or is it my Palmer?
I'm not as concerned with the output ripple/noise of the power supply as I am with the output current rating. 99% of the time people have issues with tube pedals it is because they are not providing enough current to the pedal.

I also want to clarify that
There is a huge 50kHz issue with my build in the audio path (its not audible since its far greater than 20kHz) but I think it steals internal audio headroom making it sound worse than it could.
This is not how audio amplification works. Power supply ripple outside of the audio frequency range cannot "steal headroom" from the amplifier.

It sounds to me like something is wrong with your build. Please post pictures of the build and details of your power supply so we can help figure out what's going on.

There are literally hundreds of Nobelium units out in the world and they absolutely are being used in professional touring and recording environments.

Palmer has 2A output. Thats plenty to supply the Nobelium.
This is not how audio amplification works. Power supply ripple outside of the audio frequency range cannot "steal headroom" from the amplifier.
Yes it can. Imagine you have 1V headroom. You add 0.5V DC offset. What audio amplitude (of any frequncies) can you add before it starts clipping? Exactly - another 0.5V. Actually if youve ever built a distortion pedal and understood the schematic, this happens all the time (but on purpose). Same goes for other frequencies which you dont want in your audio like it happens here. Actually good mixing engineers do this all the time: high and low pass filtering any instrument to the frequency content the instrument shines at and cutting anything that would just "steal" headroom. My build should be fine. It's either my Palmer PSU or the internal PSU thats the issue. I'll hook up a battery and find out the next couple of days and let you know.
There are literally hundreds of Nobelium units out in the world and they absolutely are being used in professional touring and recording environments.
Yup, I would too if it wasnt for the 2 issues I noticed when comparing to my other high end pres (Caveman (Neve1073), Aguilar, Rheingold, Radial,...). I'm pretty sure the audio path itself is the real deal - like I said: my basses A- and D-strings absolutely killer through it. E- and G-strings fine. Anything on the low B unfortunately no match to the other stuff I have. Pretty sure the real deal wouldnt have these issues, and very likely to me the power supply is the culprit.

I don't know shit but I haven't experienced this with my 5 string. I also blast my Nobelium with an 0c2, HOG, meatbox and arcadiator constantly with glorious results. You got a buddy with a 1A one spot laying around?

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong: my Nobelium doesnt sound "bad", probably a lot of decent bass players wouldn't even notice the 2 sound "issues" I mentioned. They are anything but obvious. Its just that I'm super nerdy about it and something that's only 95% there soundwise will not make me happy anymore considering I've been spoiled with all the good stuff I'm having access too. I'll test the next couple of days. Just need to find time

I'll test the next couple of days. Just need to find time
And please post some pictures, they are very much appreciated around here whether there are problems or not.
Include a pedal board shot with some of your other pedals if you can. :)
Thanks
Michael

EDIT: It looks like that pedalboard comes with a WT PB 40 power board, it has 2 outputs at 9/12/18V at 500mA and 6 outputs at 9V 300mA and also an output that says 12V 2A that can feed another power board. (Most likely the 12V 2A outlet is not filtered and it is not isolated like the others)

The power supply has a wall wart that feeds the pedalboard power supply, and it says in the manual the total max amps is 2A, that would be all the outputs combined..

So you can run at 12V 500mA max or 9V 500mA max on the the variable voltage outlets, you would be better of using the 9V setting as the Nobelium uses less power at 9V.
The high voltage stays the same in the Nobelium but the tube heaters are fed from the input voltage, the tube heaters use less amps at 9V compared to 12V. (They take a bit longer to heat up at 9V )

Last edited:
Did a quick and dirty setup, cutting a pedal supply cable in half and hooking up my lab dc supply: my build takes typ. 440mA at 9V and 470mA at 12V. The lab supply is clearly better than my Palmer (audible noise frequencies /hiss is reduced). I think I need to treat my pedals to a decent supply in general. Never really thought much about spending a lot on a pedal supply.

However I still get a signal lamp reading on my mixing desk after amplifying by +30 to 40db even though its not audible. If I had a couple of 9V batteries with clips, I would wire them in parallel to get the cleanest possible 9V DC, but I'll save myself the effort since I need to get a decent pedal supply anyway now that Ive made up my mind.

I still consider it most likely that there might be a general issue with the internal PSU by design. It's just extremely likely with that packaging without internal shielding that this switched mode circuit emits a great deal of EMI that gets injected in the audio path. Perhaps the guy who builds the real deal Noble has this all figured out. He'd not be very intelligent if he used all these huge components to create a stable HV DC from mains AC for no reason. If you could just get away with an internal PSU design like the one in the Nobelium to create a stable DC without those high non audible dirt frequencies radiating, anyone who wouldnt make use of this would just not be very smart.

Attachments

• 20240902_192213.jpg
    20240902_192213.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240902_192128.jpg
    20240902_192128.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240902_192256.jpg
    20240902_192256.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 12
Back