1978 (Informant)

SYLV9ST9R

So, finally received my iron (I did my first two builds with a very basic variable iron, but it's going so much better now), and I was eager to try it so I did another build last night. Had to adjust to the new iron, but my soldering technique is getting better.
This one gave me a headache with the decal, and the clear coat at first.
I had to sand it back and reapply a decal, and I managed to drop the enclosure and chip it, but it goes with the worn theme I added to the font.
Cosmetically, I'm happy with it now, even with some imperfections.
I named it "1978", because it's the year the RAT was developed, and also my birth year, so it was fitting!
Really like the sound, but will get to try it more in depth tonight.

IMG_5391.jpg IMG_5389.jpg

[Edit]: another version can be found below.

Last edited:
I built a pair of informants a few weeks ago (one for myself, one as a bday gift for a bandmate), and they're really solid pedals. It really does sound like a more polite rat, which makes it a little more usable in the always-on/OD side of the gain range. I still think the straight up rat circuit's lack of manners lends it a little more character on the higher gain side of things.

I built a pair of informants a few weeks ago (one for myself, one as a bday gift for a bandmate), and they're really solid pedals. It really does sound like a more polite rat, which makes it a little more usable in the always-on/OD side of the gain range. I still think the straight up rat circuit's lack of manners lends it a little more character on the higher gain side of things.
Yes, just had the chance to play a little, and very pleased by the sound. I don't usually play with a lot of dirt, so I found it very usable and tweak able for my use/liking.

Just finished another, this one with the simple relay bypass.
Black sand matte enclosure with UV print and matte varnish.
I'll see if I keep it, but might sell it as I have built a bit too much and need to pay for some other gear...
The saucer knobs from Tayda were a bit of a pain, I had to file them a bit on the inside for them to fit well.

Attachments

• IMG_7495.jpg
    IMG_7495.jpg
    718.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7492.jpg
    IMG_7492.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 89
Looks great.

I love the year connection with ProCo's launch of the Rat (during a Year of the Horse).

Chuck in some '70s colours on your next one, orange, brown, yellow stripes 😸

The saucer knobs from Tayda were a bit of a pain, I had to file them a bit on the inside for them to fit well.

Maybe you already figured it out by now, but that's probably because you used 6,35mm (¼") shaft knobs on 6mm shaft pots. There are 6mm and 6,35mm (¼") round shafts for screw-in knobs, you have to match both diameters, otherwise knob center won't match the shaft center and knob turning gets ugly. You can also use 6mm to 6,35mm shaft adapters like these ones:

Knurled and D-shape shafts are all 6mm and they're not intended to be used with screw-in knobs. Some people use them anyway, but I wouldn't recommend it. On D-shape shafts the screw remains very deep inside and you'll get center dancing when turning as well. On knurled ones, the split shaft tends to give in to the screw pressure, and although those adapters can help, I found preferible to use screw-in knobs on round shafts only.

Back