Beginner looking for advice

Nix

Hello!

I would really like to get into pedal building. I wanted to build the Dwarven Hammer first. Is this too difficult for a first build? I don't know how to find the proper parts or how to read schematics yet. I was going to start with some practice boards I have and a kit, but I couldn't find one I wanted to build. I purchased a book but I have trouble paying attention to it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do I think you can do it? Of course. Does it depend on your soldering and hinge on you sourcing correct parts? Yes. My biggest tip is to start by reading on this site. Use the search function here and try to see if anyone else has asked the same questions. I promise you there are lots of answers here.

Tayda is a great source for parts. You will need to know a little about the values and naming of components to search the site. One of the hardest things when you start is sourcing the parts. Which is why many start with kits.

If you don't know how to solder I suggest practicing first. I did not and it took me 2 builds before I was able to make one work. Watch some YouTube. there are little kits on Amazon for soldering tutorials that are ornamental or just fun projects too.

Good luck!

I haven't built it, but it looks pretty simple. The components are all easy to source on Tayda, but I'd probably just go with a regular 30 cent NJM4558D chip rather than the JRC4558D. You will not need to read schematics at all (unless you mess up), just put the components where the labels say.

I did this as my first kit and I think it's a great kit and a great beginner guide (worth reading as an intro even if you don't make that particular kit, but I found the kit worth it). I'd really recommend going with a kit as a gentle introduction. Aion FX also has good kits and instructions. In general ordering the electronics is kinda tricky without some research and experience - easy to get similar-sounding parts that end up being wrong.

If you go with the Dwarven Hammer, when you place your electronics order (for example, on Tayda), remember that beyond the listed components you will also need 2x audio jacks, a foot switch, a DC jack, and an enclosure (size 125B, and you might want to order it drilled, if you don't feel comfortable with drilling yourself). Besides that, you'll need solder, wire, a soldering iron, wire strippers, and flush cutters as a minimum.

Soldering can be excellent for helping to focus. It's like meditating for me when I get into it.

Start with a small and easy board and just go for it. The Mercurial Boost (everyone needs a Mercurial Boost) would be a good one.

Worst case you screw it up and as long as you learn something from it there's nothing wrong with that. Lots of folks here are willing to help if you start a troubleshooting thread.

Reactions: Nix
Start with a build that doesn't have a lot of parts.

Reading the build list and sourcing the correct values and quantities is 90% of the project. The other half is correctly placing components/value and soldering.

You will likely have shipping costs to consider as you will have at least two shipping charges, often times three. Shipping costs can be a significant cost in you build.

PCB shipping $5~
Tayda shipping $3.99 or $13.99
Stompbox Parts shipping $5~
Mouser shipping $7.99

Sometimes with Tayda if you order an enclosure, the only shipping option is the 'second day air'. This usually takes about a week to arrive.

Tayda will usually have everything you need. Sometimes you'll have to source components from other suppliers, which jacks your build cost.

So, shipping costs on a build with parts from Tayda, you're typically looking around $19. If you have to source parts from a third supplier, add the cost of parts and $5-$8 to the build cost.

And then there's finishing the enclosure. But that's another story.

Start small and simple.

Hello!

I would really like to get into pedal building. I wanted to build the Dwarven Hammer first. Is this too difficult for a first build? I don't know how to find the proper parts or how to read schematics yet. I was going to start with some practice boards I have and a kit, but I couldn't find one I wanted to build. I purchased a book but I have trouble paying attention to it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
if at any point in your build you think to yourself that it needs a white nylon washer on the outside of the pedal then just scoop the whole thing up, throw it away, and find a new hobby.

Do I think you can do it? Of course. Does it depend on your soldering and hinge on you sourcing correct parts? Yes. My biggest tip is to start by reading on this site. Use the search function here and try to see if anyone else has asked the same questions. I promise you there are lots of answers here.

Tayda is a great source for parts. You will need to know a little about the values and naming of components to search the site. One of the hardest things when you start is sourcing the parts. Which is why many start with kits.

If you don't know how to solder I suggest practicing first. I did not and it took me 2 builds before I was able to make one work. Watch some YouTube. there are little kits on Amazon for soldering tutorials that are ornamental or just fun projects too.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! I'll build some little Amazon projects and read the forum. Not sure why but I'm getting all kinds of search results now, I wasn't before.

Find a kit you like and roll with it. If you want the outcome it will motivate you more than just something random but simple. A fuzz/overdrive/boost is probably a safer first bet. As people mentioned, as long as you have the right parts and take your time (and learn how to solder) assembling a kit should be just fine.

If you are in Europe, Musikding sells entire kits and you just need to add an enclosure and the knobs. In the US, if you are really intimidated by putting together a list of components and ordering from different sources, I know AionFx sells entire kits of good quality with enclosure, knobs etc along with a detailed guide that should be foolproof enough (although this comes at a premium and their kits are almost as expensive as a finished pedal).

My few cents for a newb:

Resistors.. Metal film 1/4 watt and the values you need https://www.taydaelectronics.com/resistors/1-4w-metal-film-resistors/test-group-2.html

Capacitors hit a few catagories:
A: Electrolytics mostly recognized in values of "uF"(Micrfarads) buy values that are minimum 25v-35V and make sure your getting 5mmx11mm (or similar) and not surprised when giant capacitors show up in your order...lol

B: film box capacitors for your " N values " Nanofarad" 10N etc etc. look for 5mm lead spacing for sizes https://www.taydaelectronics.com/ca...100v-5-polyester-film-box-type-capacitor.html

C: ceramic capacitors ... your normal picofard values.....

Stomp switches 3pdt: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/el...ch/3pdt-stomp-foot-pedal-switch-red-body.html

power jack: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/dc-power/dc-power-jack-2-1mm-round-type-panel-mount-1.html

mono input/output jacks: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/ha...gs-jacks/6-35mm-1-4-mono-phone-jack-6040.html

Enclosures: if you look at pedalpcb description of the build your doing it usually says what type enclosure to buy for a prebuild at tayda.... 3 hole type 1 etc etc. or your can print your drill temp and drill your own. https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/enclosures/drilled-enclosures-for-pedalpcb.html

led holders are user preference.. i prefer small holders or no holder at all... i use 3mm and 5mm leds for builds

Pots! pay attention when ordering.... " (6.35 MM!!!) pcb mount pcb pins and double check your ordered A or B taper or whatever the build calls for

Don't overthink it.

If you want a Dwarven Hammer, get that. Build it, do a terrible job, post about it when it doesn't work. We will help you/ make fun of your ugly soldering. I think the only way to get better at it is by doing it and learning from your mistakes.

Sourcing components can be a little overwhelming at first. If you want to pay a little extra to skip that step and get right to soldering I can recommend the kits at stompbox parts if there's a project there you're interested in. I started on a Rat kit from there.

Practice boards sound like a bummer to me. Practice on a real board. Who knows, maybe it'll work.

Careful when tightening down the rotary switch when you build the dwarven hammer. They cannot tolerate as much torque as the potentiometers.

One of my early builds was a super heterodyne reciever. I had a working circuit. But when I tightened down the rotary switch in the case there was a POP. And a broken rotary switch. A very sad event when so close to the finish line.

Recent convert here. I did the Aion Klone kit to start. I found it to be a good experience to practice soldering, understand good workflow, and troubleshoot a simple careless error (lesson…go slower, triple check).

Then, I decided I did not want to be limited by kits, so jumped in with excel spreadsheets galore for ordering. I still ordered the wrong size caps once (uhh…the lead spacing is spec’d!)…wrong size switch (uhh…size is spec’d!)…and usually miss a component or three when ordering hundreds of parts. I have posted a few embarrassing troubleshooting threads (solder bridge…wrong value resistor/cap). But, I’ve completed 11 or 12 pedals and most worked the first time and continue to work.

You’ll figure it out. You’ll end up with more tools and utility thingees than you thought. And, you’ll figure out what works for you. Great advice here. Most questions can be proactively answered with some reading.

Read this: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/basic-workflow-tips-for-building-a-pedalpcb.1165/

Build an audio probe.

Go slow to go fast (for me…maybe not others).

Enjoy!

Be careful who you take advice from. Don't listen to anyone with active troubleshooting threads 😂. There are honestly so many resources out there for new builders explaining everything from parts ordering to the build process. A simple search can tell you everything you want to know. Experience will teach you everything you need to know. Learn from your mistakes and failures, lots of people don't, that's what will make you a better builder.

If it's your first time and you're unsure what to do, start with a kit, specifically one that has good instructions. I started with some GGG kits. After a couple of those I had the confidence to source my own parts and use tagboards, etc.

The Stewmac kits have pretty thorough instructions that walk you through the whole process (and I think some, if not all, their PCBs come from PedalPCB).

Get some old boards out of broken electronics and practice your desoldering and resoldering. Get a decent DMM and measure every part. double check your BOM before you place parts and cover over the silk screened ref des or value. Only do one value resistor/cap/board at once. Ounce of prevention etc etc

Around the same time, or maybe slightly before, I started doing pedals, I bought some bulk cable and 1/4” mono connectors from Redco. Got plenty of basic soldering practice and ended up with custom length cables for all my gear.

Run away quickly before this horrible addiction sets it hook.

Oh wait, you're already here... This is a great place to start the hobby and there are a ton of helpful people around here so you can't go wrong.

My name is Gordo and it's been 15 days since I built my last pedal...

Back