Beginner looking for advice

"My name is Gordo and it's been 15 days since I built my last pedal..."

Damn Gordo, you got me. :ROFLMAO: We need chips (Tl072 for 2 weeks, lol).

I'd recommend an Aion board for your first time. The build docs are very thorough and geared for beginners. Also there is a a "where to buy parts" doc on the Aion site that is great. If you follow that doc, personally, I'd skip the kit. Parts ordering is a big part of this experience, you might as well cut your teeth. To me, the only advantage of the kit is the enclosure and that depends on what you are in to. If you are an artist or inclined in that direction you'll want to do your own thing.

For a first project OD/distortion is probably best. But really, you want to make sure it's something you want. It's a big payoff to make something that is really awesome to you.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies. I am overwhelmed with good info! I think I will build a kit first. Is the GuitarPCB Cranky Charles kit from PedalPartsandKits an okay place to start? I'm not sure if I should buy a tubescreamer kit if I am going to build the Dwarven Hammer and the Mean Green Metal Machine later on if I can get that far. Thanks again to everyone, I definitely have come to the right place to learn.

Last edited:
I second going with a kit. I would look at the stomp box parts ones.

I also recommend using good flux. I like flux from mg chemicals. After you are done soldering be sure to scrub off all the flux with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol. If you are using nice flux, getting good solder connections, then cleaning the board very well after the chance of success is a lot higher.

This one was specifically tailored to be a beginners build (Wide spacing, low component count, and oversized solder pads): https://stompboxparts.com/kits/volume-booster-pedal-kit/

My advice is to get a good soldering station. It doesn't have to cost several hundred dollars, but you want something better than a Radioshack pen.

Even an experienced builder will make a mess with a poor quality iron.

This one was specifically tailored to be a beginners build (Wide spacing, low component count, and oversized solder pads): https://stompboxparts.com/kits/volume-booster-pedal-kit/

My advice is to get a good soldering station. It doesn't have to cost several hundred dollars, but you want something better than a Radioshack pen.

Even an experienced builder will make a mess with a poor quality iron.
Thanks, for the tips! I'll try the booster first. I have a cheap Amazon iron that is variable. I suppose that's not going to cut it, is it?

How much do you want to spend? I'm in Canada so know a good amount of suppliers by now.
Thanks! I'd say more if it is digital or a temperature written on the dial and has tips or can get them off the same website, that would be a bonus. I'd to not mess up with a poor one but not sure if I am able to get into the hobby yet. Reading the Which Iron Do You Like thread now.

Last edited:
I had my eye for some time on the WE1010NA on Amazon, it sometimes sell for 155CAD. I'm waiting for it to go under 150, but I might be too optimistic.

The core of any build is good soldering.

Watch lots of vids and read up a lot on good soldering-practices.
Practice soldering before you start on any build. How to practice? Read on.

BTW, I don't see the point of "practice-soldering kits".

Need practice? Then...

Make a bunch of patch-cables for your pedalboard, quick and easy to make and to test if they work or not.
Still need more practice soldering? Solder some patch-cables and leads for your friends, too.

Now practice soldering on some simple low parts-count builds such as boosts and fuzzes. Who doesn't need boosts and fuzzes? Who doesn't need practice? So...Build some for yourself and friends.

Want to get into SMD-soldering? Don't buy a "SMD solder-practice kit" — practice soldering MMBFJ201 to adapter boards.

After all that soldering practice, building the Dwarven Hammer will be a breeze.

TLDR: Learn to solder well.

I had my eye for some time on the WE1010NA on Amazon, it sometimes sell for 155CAD. I'm waiting for it to go under 150, but I might be too optimistic.

That looks like a good one. Mine is similar, but with variable wattage. Still going strong.

I am new as well, literally started this weekend with the Tayda Sho and working on the El Sol right now since they are both low part quantity.

What I have learned thus far, practice and patience.

The hardest part for me has been desoldering mistakes, I spent HOURS working on one pot I soldered in the wrong way over the weekend. Literally had a friend facetime me to show me, still struggled with it. Had I been patient and double checked I was putting in the pot the right way, I would have a completed pedal, Same goes with the skill, I am going to need a ton more practice desoldering.

The next hardest thing is wiring the switch. The switch PCB goes a LONG way to make that easier, especially with a PedalPCB build.

Order extras, you will mess stuff up. And at a couple cents each at Tayda, makes sense.

I see you are interested in the WE101NA, that is what I got with some extra tips, the one it comes with is kinda big and I had more success with a smaller chisel.

That is just my experience on it being a newbie myself, your milage may vary.

• Love
Reactions: Nic
I see you are interested in the WE101NA, that is what I got with some extra tips, the one it comes with is kinda big and I had more success with a smaller chisel.
You should see the tip on my cheap weller... really not ideal, but I'm used to work with it. But I take good note.

Man i bought a cheap soldering iron kit on amazon and one of those landtone amazon kits for my first build. Instructions translated from mandarin to english by some program written for dos 6.2. I still am shocked i got it to work. Then decide you’re too cheap to buy pcbs and beat your head against a wall over at tagboard effects or dirtbox layouts for s few builds. After trouble shooting a couple of those rats nests any pcb build will be a breeze. (This is literally what i did)

Might as well jump off the pier and sink or swim right.

Back