Duo-Phase Completed.

Cybercow

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Everyone here seems to be doing pretty well with their builds and wanted to throw my hat into the successful build ring again. This time, I finished a Duo-Phase with zero issues when done. I thought I had a problem at first when one of the LEDs stopped throbbing. But it turned out the battery I was using to test it with was aged and not up to par for this mondo build. Once I used a regulated 9v wall wart, everything behaved as it should. Woot!

Building this particular circuit bears a significance for me as one of my very first guitar pedals was a genuine Mutron Bi-Phase that I got in trade for an amp repair back in the 80's. I remember my heart breaking when I sold it years later.

I haven't gotten to the enclosure finishing stage yet, but have the artwork done in Photoshop and worked up a 2-D mockup of the completed Duo-Phase pedal. While the Photoshop mockup shows the LEDs externally, I've decided to not bezel-mount them and will leave them subterranean beneath the decal with a 3mm hole in the enclosure to let the light thru in a nice diffused glow rather than piercing bright laser beams into the eyes.
DuoPhase_Chapter_II_Final.png
The rest of the images are photos of the pre-decayed pedal, gutshot and some of the build process stages.

Duo-Phase_PreDecal_01.jpg

Duo-Phase_PreDecal_02.jpg

Duo-Phase_PCB_01a.jpg

Duo-Phase_PCB_01b.jpg

I considered sanding the clear surface of the LEDs to add some diffusion, but I also know that at such close proximity, it wouldn't really make a discernible difference. The finished circuit sounds great with the water-clear yellow LEDs.
Duo-Phase_PCB_02b.jpg

The finished gutshot demonstrates how close the tolerances of the physical dimensions of the PCB and hardware are.
Duo-Phase_Gutshot_Done.jpg

This is going to replace the two other 6-stage phasers I currently have on my pedalboard - a Krypton Phaser (Mutron Phase II circuit) and an Ibanez PH-7 Phaser. They both sound great, but the Duo-Phase adds a bit more dimension by being able to synch the two phase circuits to a single LFO.

This has been one of my more satisfying PedalPCB builds yet. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Holy smokes! Everything about that is perfect...the wiring, the cleanliness, the photos, the photoshop skills. Nice job! What do you use for lighting your photos? That can't be a cell phone camera!

Holy smokes! Everything about that is perfect...the wiring, the cleanliness, the photos, the photoshop skills. Nice job! What do you use for lighting your photos? That can't be a cell phone camera!
Thanks! Yes, I'm using an iPhone 10x cell phone camera. Natural lighting (large window behind my workspace) with a ceiling lamp that has 4 LED bulbs in it.

I like that Mark I like that a lot.......

Can I have it?

Just superb all round with great detailed information I think you've outdone yourself with this one

Beautiful! Looks professional. I take that back, it looks better than most pro pedals.

I have one in my queue. My goal is for it to be as nice as yours.

Back