Phasell LDR help

Fornhost

Hey all, long time user first time poster. I'm about to build the phasell (Mu Tron Phaser 2) and I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to solder in the LDRs so that they face the LED or just solder them in flush with the board where they point upwards from the PCB, any ideas?

They will both work fine. I do mine flat because it looks nicer and it is easier. One of the trimpots adjusts the LED brightness, which makes up for LED/LDR proximity.

the LDRs are inexpensive enough that you could get a couple of different kinds. I would go for the ones that provide the highest resistance when dark.

I'd say that for a phaser, you want the biggest ratio of dark to light resistance. In the Phase II, the LDRs all have 220K resistors in parallel. Once the LDR resistance gets above 220K, it's done all it can do. For the classic phaser sound, you want the LDRs to track. That means you want them to have the same light resistance and dark resistance. No need to obsess about it, but if the tracking is way off, the sound will be affected. If you're building a uni-vibe, then tracking doesn't matter because the stages are all stagger-tuned.

Back