My (tweakable) Drill/Punch Template

flemming

I know there are a couple 3D printed drilling templates out there, but I put something together last night in OpenSCAD, that makes tweaking the dimensions and hole locations, really easy. I've uploaded the .scad file as well as STLs for Tayda's 125B enclosures to Thingiverse:

If you use enclosures from some other supplier and you just need to +/- a 1mm here and there you can use the Customizer on Thingiverse. If you want to make something more custom, you can download the .scad file and modify the code. The hole coordinates are relative to center, so for example if you wanted to make a template specific for the Terrarium in OpenSCAD you'd have:

Code:
width=65;
height=120;
holes = [
  [-20.32, 38.1], [0, 38.1], [20.32, 38.1],
  [-20.32, 12.7], [0, 12.7], [20.32, 12.1],
  [-21, -12.7], [-7, -12.7], [7, -12.7], [21, -12.7],
  [-15.24, -27.3], [15.24, -27.3],
  [-15.24, -45], [15.24, -45],
];
DrillTemplate(width, height, holes);

I haven't done much with OpenSCAD, but it seemed to generate reliable models for me with a variety of parameters.

Robert

Attachments

• PedalPCB-Drill-Template.jpg
    PedalPCB-Drill-Template.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 62
Just printed this and it came out very well! Thank you for that. One tip for fitting the template if it's not super snug: put some masking tape on each of the four edges and it should fit more securely.

Just printed this and it came out very well! Thank you for that. One tip for fitting the template if it's not super snug: put some masking tape on each of the four edges and it should fit more securely.
Glad it worked out. It fits pretty snug on my enclosures. If yours are a little smaller you could also change the enclosure dimensions a bit in the scad file (or use the customizer). I've been meaning to try and do one for a 1590B with top jacks based on the dimensions here, but I need to figure out the math for the 3PDT since I can't use the same offset from center dimensions since there won't be enough clearance at the bottom of the enclosure.

Glad it worked out. It fits pretty snug on my enclosures. If yours are a little smaller you could also change the enclosure dimensions a bit in the scad file (or use the customizer). I've been meaning to try and do one for a 1590B with top jacks based on the dimensions here, but I need to figure out the math for the 3PDT since I can't use the same offset from center dimensions since there won't be enough clearance at the bottom of the enclosure.
I would love to get my hands on a 1590B template! I am willing to trade it for 💵

I updated the OpenSCAD file and added new STLs for both 125B and 1590B. If anyone runs into any problems feel free to let me know. The template for the top mounted 1590B jacks does not leave much room for error and is only going to work with certain jacks like the Lumberg KLBM3. In general the 1590B template is very much a YMMV kinda thing and subject to the specific board, enclosure, etc.

Here's a quick photo comparing the two sets:

PXL_20220410_173633884.jpg

I updated the OpenSCAD file and added new STLs for both 125B and 1590B. If anyone runs into any problems feel free to let me know. The template for the top mounted 1590B jacks does not leave much room for error and is only going to work with certain jacks like the Lumberg KLBM3. In general the 1590B template is very much a YMMV kinda thing and subject to the specific board, enclosure, etc.

Here's a quick photo comparing the two sets:

View attachment 25114
If one didn’t have access to a 3D printer, how could one get one of these?🤔

This is driving me absolutely nuts :(

I have figured out how to make a basic shape. Even put a hole in it! This is the core of what I am trying to make for my first 3D printed object - a basic drilling template to help out on my drill press, where precision is important. But I cannot piece together how to get the dimensions exactly what they need to be.

As a bonus, I could put a double-height ring around the outside of the template, to help hold the items I am drilling. But I would be more than happy with simply having the holes in the exact place for now.

Could someone try to walk me through this? It is the easiest thing in the world to do with librecad and friends, but I guess I simply do not understand what constraints are and how to make the dimensions what I want.

Back