Duocast (The Monolith)

slowpogo

I built my Duocast using a 1590BBS enclosure printed by Tayda. It took some ingenuity to fit in the smaller enclosure. I used Panasonic FC electrolytics like Hudson uses. They're a little big so some were turned on their side, one was put on the bottom of the board. This worked out actually because it acts as a standoff, which was necessary because I trimmed the pot terminals way down, leaving the board low enough to flop against the enclosure. BTW if you do this, no need to use a Dremel. Just use nail clippers or flush cutters and trim the terminals down to little vampire teeth about 1/8" long.

I wanted to use the same classic Neve knobs as Hudson, but they require a longer shaft than the usual alpha pots. So I also used the same pots that Hudson uses, BI Technologies brand. I think this was ultimately more trouble than it was worth, it looks cool but the pots and knobs are pretty expensive. If I did it again I'd just use more conventional parts. I mounted the voltage switch externally on the back, there's plenty of room for it.

I used the same typefaces used by Stanley Kubrick in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey. At first I kept them solid white but that was pretty oppressive, visually, so I added a "distressed" effect in Photoshop and made some of the art gray. I was worried the distressed effect might be too fine a resolution but Tayda's printer handled it beautifully.

Otherwise it was pretty straightforward, looks better than many commercial pedals I've owned and sounds like a dream.

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg
IMG_0815.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing build quality and end result!
I'm also planning to build a duocast. Would you mind giving me the codes of the BI Potentiometer?

Thanks a lot!

I originally got the pots from Mouser but the 10k is out of stock. Newark has 2 of the 3 types, but you'd still have to go to Mouser for the 250k. I can't find any vendor with all three types. They're knurled shaft so you'd need an adapter to use 1/4" knobs (got mine at Love My Switches)
BTW the pots aren't expensive at all, not sure why I thought that. But the Neve knobs certainly are

nice job, I like the look of it without the switch on the front face

I'm planning one of these as well with the Neve knobs from lovemyswitches, are you saying they will not fit a standard alpha pot?

nice job, I like the look of it without the switch on the front face

I'm planning one of these as well with the Neve knobs from lovemyswitches, are you saying they will not fit a standard alpha pot?
Yes. It is actually mentioned on the product page at lovemyswitches... 13mm from bottom of knob to top of set screws (A slightly longer pot shaft length than typical is necessary for these knobs. Check yer measurements!)

There may be a 1/4" pot with long shafts out there that would work but I couldn't find it. Which is why I found it all a bit much trouble...unusual pot, 1/4" adapter (which lovemyswitches does not have in stock btw) and expensive knobs

Back