Boss TB-2W Photos

That’s interesting to see. I didn’t expect to see that many components in it.
Keep in mind that there’s buffered bypass with FET switching and true bypass as well as on-board Vc selection. Those circuit blocks will add a decent amount of components.

The left half of the board is all power supply. This uses a buck converter and programmable voltage regulator instead of the typical charge pump arrangement we usually see.

It doesn't have the usual transistor based flip-flop circuit used in most Boss pedals, instead it uses a flip-flip IC.

Bypass switching is done with the relay in both true-bypass and buffered modes. The slide switch activates an "always-on" buffer on the output.

Wow, those are just some generic transistors. Figured they’d be using some OC75’s at least. Talk about bs hype 😂.

(To be clear, I’d be interested in a project with some of the options they’ve added, but I’m just surprised these are commanding thousands when the “rare germanium transistors tested for optimum tone” seem to be a big part of the price tag).

Last edited:
Sorry for warming up this old post...
In the booklet of the Boss TB-2W there is this schematic. There is something like a JFET between Q1 and Q2. This is likely not to be original to the Tonebender circuit. Doe anybody know the function of it?

Further more, it looks to me, that the Boss R26 is the original R1. And Boss uses 10k (103 on the smd) instead of 100k there, resulting in quite high 9,57V collector voltage at Q1. Me, I am struggling with the value of the R1: 100k -> great deep sound and sustain, but a hell of buzz (sounding nearly like a ground loop) on single coils. 10k -> very silent pedal, even with single coils, but less sustain and less depth on the sound.
Boss-circuit - Kopie.JPG

In the booklet of the Boss TB-2W there is this schematic. There is something like a JFET between Q1 and Q2.

Further more, it looks to me, that the Boss R26 is the original R1.

I never even opened the damned booklet.... 😂

The JFET is a 2SK209-G.

R26 isn't part of the original Tone Bender circuit, it's the low side of a voltage divider used to bias the switchable buffer.

R1 is R1, and is 22K.

Thank you for this clarification! ...so it's amazing, that Boss tweaked the original circuit quite a lot. (I suppose that this JFET works as a fourth amplification component.) And it's interesting to see, that with modern germanium transistors a value far below 100k seems often to be a good choice for R1.

Back