Aion Fx Ares (Clinch EP Pre Clone) JFET Testing

So, due to the recent Clandestine builds of @thewintersoldier and @caiofilipini I have decided to revisit my Aion Ares and make some tweaks.

Originally I was going to wait for the Clandestine to be back in stock but I thought since I already had the enclosure drilled for the Ares, I'd take a crack at that. Unfortunately, when I opened it up to clean up wiring and make a few changes, I noticed the switch housing and shaft were on the verge of failing. The threaded shaft was loose and I knew even before I started soldering that putting the pedal back together was likely to fully compromise it.

And it did. Which is not a big deal. I ordered a new Ares board and this time I'll do it without the breakout for the switch and other components.

A few things I'd like to do would be to add a trimmer (I purchased 12 Trim-it boards) to the first JFET drain (I have not decided which I'll be using on this one) so I can dial in the drain voltage per some of the recent discussions on the subject.

Also, I'll be tweaking down the "Fat" cap to something more reasonable.

Another thing I was considering was that the Clinch EP Pre has the 2N5485 Output Buffer on it. Clinch has stated that it's purpose is to lower the output impedance to play nice with downstream pedals. I'm curious if tweaking this to provide a variable output impedance would be useful? I had though of putting it on a switch but variable output impedance might be more useful.

Back