What plectrum does everyone use?

droneshotfpv

As the title suggests, I am curious to know what everyone prefers to use? I know it's more of a "personal feel" type thing, but I like to know the diversity among people, and their reasons behind it (if there is a reason haha).

Me personally, my preference is a 2.0mm Sharp pick. My absolute preference is the following, typically in this order of preference:
  • Gravity Picks Razer 2mm. The Rob Chapman Signature is the one I typically use, not because of Rob Chapman, but because his Signature pick is my preferred size and thickness from Gravity, and buying his sig plectrum, it's $5 per as opposed to $6 - $7 per going custom...
  • Dunlop 433R2.0 Ultex Sharp 2.0MM - Always used the Dunlop 433 Ultex Sharps, even when playing .73, .90, and 1.0's until landing on 2.0mm. Good all arounder
  • Osiris Accessories Lava and Venom series. While slightly thicker than 2mm at times, it tapers / bevels down to a 2mm tip. Great plectrums, but stupid expensive.
  • Dunlop Flow 1.5mm - 2.0mm - These are ok, and similar to the Ultex Sharps. I don't like the 2.0mm's rounder edges than the Ultex Sharp.. if they were LESS rounded, I think they would be a perfect plectrum, as the grip on them is insane. That being said, the 1.14 and 1.5mm are better in this case, due to the round edge factors.
Those are my top 4 typically. I play around with others, and always experiment, but that is my pretty standard "always" variants. I have found a stiffer pick is my preference for articulation, but part of me thinks it's all in my head, and that I could achieve the same things with other thicknesses, maybe even better articulation, but just with practice. Bottom line though, I know it's all based on what you are accustomed to and prefer.

Let's hear your thoughts!

ANDY JAMES Dunlop Flow. Once you use them you won't go back to anything else.
I actually bought a 3 pack of them. Same thickness as I prefer, but with the rounded edges I had mentioned. While I like the pick as a whole, the edges are what prevents me from using it as a daily driver unfortunately. Excellent plectrum though!

It's kind of a running joke around here. I've rarely used a pick (though more recently I find it necessary) but every time my son and I play he'll ask "Dad, you want a pick?" and I'll say "sure!" so he tosses me some random pick and I put it in my pocket. If I had to pick I'd go with an 88 .

My favorite has to be Gravity Picks (Standard, unpolished, 1.5mm) or I really like the Dunlop Flow's (same size) but at like $6 each they're too pricey for how frequently I misplace them...haha. So my "standard" pick I am normally using is a 0.96mm (purple) Gator Grip.

I use a pretty large variety of plectra, including many homemade picks made of copper, coconut shell, Bolivian rosewood, coins, and polycarbonate. I also have dozens of varieties of Celluloid, delrin, nylon, stainless steel, bone, glass, stone, felt, and other material picks.
My most commonly used picks however are by far Herco Flex 75s and Dunlop Carbon Fiber Jazz III Max grips, which I have a stash of approximately 500 and 100 respectively.

I also utilize a variety of other plectra for other instruments, such as finger picks, mezrāb, bachi, and risha

i like thicker picks usually

I have a bunch from Honey Picks that I like: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HoneyPicksStore?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=852772859
I have been curious about Honey picks myself, I may pull the trigger just to see how I like them

My favorite has to be Gravity Picks (Standard, unpolished, 1.5mm) or I really like the Dunlop Flow's (same size) but at like $6 each they're too pricey for how frequently I misplace them...haha. So my "standard" pick I am normally using is a 0.96mm (purple) Gator Grip.
I love the "Master finish" of Gravity picks as well.. It just seems to play nicer for me.

Reactions: fig
I've not settled on a specific pick. Every time I play I just grab a different one from here:
IMG_20210720_084619790.jpg

There's tortex, ultex, nylon, and some other kinds as well.
As long as they're not too thick or thin, I tend to be OK with it. I prefer picks to be 0.88 mm minimum and 1.5 mm max. One exception might be the 2mm nylon stubby (not pictured--I dropped it somewhere), I like that one.
I have one of those little red jazz picks, but I don't care for the size of that one, so rarely choose it.

Jazz IIIs. I've been using them for about 12 years and anything else feels huge now.
Ditto. I've tried many flavors of Jazz III over the years: white tortex, black tortex, ultex, regular black 1.38, XL, max grip...
And I always go back to the ones I started with almost 30 years ago: the original red 1.38.

Ditto. I've tried many flavors of Jazz III over the years: white tortex, black tortex, ultex, regular black 1.38, XL, max grip...
And I always go back to the ones I started with almost 30 years ago: the original red 1.38.
Me too I've tried a bunch of the other Jazz III but always stick with the red 1.38 originals

Back