What Strings, yes, a STRINGS thread!

I use a lot of different strings. I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-46 on my single-coil strats, D’addario NYXL 8-38 on one of my HH strats, and 11-52 on another HH Strat. On my Les Paul I use D’addario 11-52 flatwound ‘Chromes’, with the 22 wound g string replaced with a plain 18, the 15 b string replaced with a 13, and the 11 high e replaced with a 9.5

for 12 string I use a custom flatwound set whose gauges elude me at the moment, but it’s extra low tension for neck-safety reasons. I think it might be 9-40, with a .007 for the high g course to prevent snapping. For acoustic 12 I also do a relatively low tension flatwound set, but I do a unison g string instead of an octave course, and I also tune down to C# for acoustic 12, so “low tension” is still like 14-56

as for bass: I don’t remember the gauges for any at the moment, but—
P bass: D’addario Roundwounds
Hofner: Labella nylon tapewounds
Bass VI: Labella Stainless Steel Flatwounds
1980s Fernandes Active PJ: Labella Nylon Tapewounds
EB-3: Rotosound Roundwounds
Hagstrom 8 string: custom Pyramid flatwound set

On both my basses (Squier CV60s P and Schecter Stiletto Stealth 4) I use DR Black Beauties. The Squier uses a 45-105 set for E standard tuning while the Schecter uses 65-125 from a 5-string set for B standard tuning.

I'd like to try some DR.

Speaking of flatwounds (and guitars), I put a set of Thomastik Infeld flats on my Gretsch G5032C Rancher, but had to swap out strings from another set so as to make it a bumped set (lighter gauge, lighter than some peoples eelectric geetars). I basically wanted to have a flatwound G. Lotsa kajiggering and because they're so light, they're a tuning nightmare. Still, it was a worthwhile experiment, as I found I do like a fully flatwound set.

Would love to hear Bricksnbeatles Hagstrom 8!

I use D'addario Jazz Flat Chromes in extra light (10-48) to reduce some of the brightness on my ESP guitar with EMGs. I absolutely love how that combination sounds. How well flats age is always a plus especially for someone who only plays at home. Might try them on my Telecaster sometime soon.

For everything else I use standard Ernie Ball 10s. No complaints about EB really, which seems to be rare!

Would love to hear Bricksnbeatles Hagstrom 8!
Hagstrom H8-II, neck pickup in single coil mode, with the high-cut switch engaged. Just DI’d.
Rhythm guitars are my Les Paul (which has the flatwounds) on the neck pickup (SD Whole Lotta Humbucker) in single coil mode, DI’d. Lead guitar is the LP with the bridge pickup in single coil mode, out of phase and in series with the neck humbucker, tone rolled down, don’t remember what OD pedal, but it’s into a cab sim and DI’d.

I was solely a GHS user for about 15 years. A few years ago, my fiancé bought me some Gibson vintage reissue strings for my new Les Paul and I loved them. Then, I started noticing some QC issues with the last few packs so I switched to Ernie Ball classic slinkies.

Back