Harmonic Percolator- Tagboard.. switch wiring?

Again you probably do this but I'm always a bit more careful with germaniums especially expensive one's so I use a croc clip as a heatsink to protect against possible heat damage like this

If you've any other PNP germaniums or lowish hFE PNP silicons like 2N3906 you could try them whilst you wait

View attachment 13902
Thanks for the tip. I did not do this, but I definitely will.
Can you tell me, is the tab on this transistor facing in towards the board or facing away from the board. Looking at the pin out, mine has been facing the outside but I wanted to make sure

Yes pinout from left to right would be base, collector and emitter with the tab

Middle base pin bent out to the left collector bent into the middle then emitter with the tag on it to the right as I think you had it 20210721_174951_copy_540x481.jpg

Thank you!

I have come to the conclusion that this pedal is cursed.. or has some other issue going on.
it worked and then stopped

I've had a few of the cursed jobs is it secured in place

Could be something shorting when it's the right way up ie dropping down and making bare metal contact

I've had a few of the cursed jobs is it secured in place

Could be something shorting when it's the right way up ie dropping down and making bare metal contact
I pulled the board up and it still isn't working. My guess is a bad solder joint but I will have to spend some time troubleshooting

Its not possible to short out the transistor is it?
I maybe need to check my 220k resistor. I poked around a little when it was plugged in and when I touched it, it buzzed

It is possible but the 220K is on the same tag as the 404 base and collector you can check it's all good by continuity checking the base and collector pins, just make sure you snip off any excess wiring or component legs so they can't short on anything if accidentally moved

You know it works so I'm sure you'll find your problem soon, carry on giving things a prod and wiggling wires see it it springs into life

If it worked there's a good chance it's a poor connection I'd start with a wee wiggle of the in, out, power, ground and pot wires whilst putting audio through it

Alright, so tried tracing the short and decided to rewrite the whole thing. Took me a couple hours but it's working consistently now. I jammed on it for a few hours and it's showing no issues!!

I can only wonder how much time was wasted on a shorted wire. This was one of the hardest and simplest pedals I've done. So glad it's finished haha

Brilliant I knew you'd get it done

Yer ahead of me on it too, my box currently has it's first clearcoat drying

I was happy though decided to go toner transfer for the labelling and 2 or 3 clearcoats, the transfer went on perfect at the first try, normally takes me 2 or 3 attempts till I'm happy so yer spreading the good vibes

Try this one next I made one years ago that sat in a drawer then someone in a band over here asked if I could make one so I said I've got one handwired and started playing with it ended up wishing I'd kept it you can get lots of great sounds out of it

Mosrite Fuzzrite mod - IvIark.png

Last edited:
Brilliant I knew you'd get it done

Yer ahead of me on it too, my box currently has it's first clearcoat drying

I was happy though decided to go toner transfer for the labelling and 2 or 3 clearcoats, the transfer went on perfect at the first try, normally takes me 2 or 3 attempts till I'm happy so yer spreading the good vibes

Try this one next I made one years ago that sat in a drawer then someone in a band over here asked if I could make one so I said I've got one handwired and started playing with it ended up wishing I'd kept it you can get lots of great sounds out of it

View attachment 14023
Oh I definitely will!
I have some tag board left and I am thinking about doing an Si Fuzz Face

Reactions: fig
Back