Pedal enclosure

LOL the only thing that stops me from working on an amp, it that I strongly feel that I'm stupid enough to electrocute myself !!! :D
That's exactly how I felt about it, working on amps terrified me.

Tonight I'm celebrating the successful debugging of an input jack problem on my Tweed build.

Finished the build and fired it up last night and got sound but only if there was a jumper cable between bright and normal channels' Hi Z.

I thought maybe too much solder on the jacks had caused some to overflow and short out the tip to ground ... after desoldering the jacks and inspecting them with a magnifier, I realised...

All the how-to guides and kits show GND SW TIP for the jack lugs, but my cheap-asterisk jacks are lugged GND TIP SW!

Rewired everything and now it works. Next up is to tidy up the build, play around with the grounding to eliminate as much noise/hiss/hum as possible.

I'm the kid that took the windup clock apart and could NOT put it back together again — so if I can build a pedal or an amp, I think anybody that has a mind to do so can as well.

I'm still terrified of heart-stopping voltages, hopefully scared enough it keeps me alive.

The only thing that stops me from building a (tube) amp is the fact that even for budget-quality stuff, it’s pretty friggin expensive 😅

Well yes, that is a factor too, but if I could build a HiWatt or a Vintage Tweed for 800$ and have it sound like a 2000$ amp, I feel I'd be ahead....

I'm pretty handy with wood, so I can probably build the cabinet from scratch and save a few bucks there....

Still, It's in the future plan... I need to read more on process and safety procedure to discharge the caps. I've see a few homemade kits with chopsticks and resistance to slowly discharge them... but still, that scares me a fair bit...

Reviving an older thread.

Since buying from Tayda seems to be pretty expensive I'm trying to source my enclosures in Europe.

Besides the fact that I can't find any local companies that can do UV printing on enclosures, I can't find 125Bs, only 1590N1s. They're supposed to be the same but there's a discrepancy between 125B (122 x 66 x 40 mm) and 1590N1 (121.1 x 66 x 35mm) - basically a 125B is 5mm taller. At least according to the cheapest option I found, which is in Spain https://www.retroamplis.com/epages/62070367.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62070367/Products/ENC-N1-COL

Will PedalPCB projects fits in the shorter 1590N1s?

Back