Practice Amp

Ah yeah, fedex is the worst, but I’ve been having pretty bad luck with the USPS too— this is the first time I’ve actually had them lose multiple packages in a short timeframe, but I’ve had plenty of records broken by them due to mind boggling delivery choices (my personal favorite is when my mailman put a record mailer, which had a few LPs inside so it was a bit heavy, on top of a pile of other packages that were delivered, leaning against the garage door. Obviously, the only way to know the packages were delivered there was to go outside, and the way to do that is… through the garage door. So of course, when I opened the garage door, I was greeted by a record mailer jumping to its death from four feet above— there were no survivors. 😂
As a regular online vinyl consumer this made me rage shudder.

As a regular online vinyl consumer this made me rage shudder.
Luckily, despite getting plenty of records in the mail this past week (RSD selections that I missed out on, as well as those that weren’t available in the US), I’ve only had one casualty thus far, and it wasn’t even the USPS’ fault— it was a reissue of REM’s original Radio Free Europe single that was just released, and Amazon sent it in a large box with no packing material, so the actual single came out of the sleeve and was bouncing around in the box, getting badly scuffed in the process. Luckily that was just a regular release, and not one of the very limited releases I had ordered, such as the RSD release of Roland Kirk at Ronnie Scott’s, or Procol Harum’s Grand Hotel reissue.

Now I'm REALLY wanting to see the enclosure!
Well, despite the first enclosure being lost, found, and subsequently obliterated by the USPS, I was able to find a suitable replacement, and if I do say so myself, it’s just as cool.
As this one is a bit bigger than the initial enclosure I planned on using (but still quite compact) I’m thinking I might go with two inputs, a built in one-knob fuzz (ala Kustom), preamp gain, active bandaxall tone stack (of course with center detent pots to make a flat response easy), and a master volume, with a big old carling power switch (for that satisfying clunk that a mini toggle just can’t replicate), and a fat old red amp jewel. External bias control for the fuzz on the back panel for the sake of convenience, as well a DI output, and the obligatory speaker out and 2.1mm DC jack

• Love
Reactions: fig
Lot's of room, what are you using as PSU?
Haven’t decided on what I’ll be doing as a power amp yet, so the power requirements are still to be determined.
also I’ve already nixed the reverb idea because I remembered I have another cool enclosure that I think would be big enough to potentially use for a stereo standalone spring reverb unit to run synths and drum machines through, as well as to use as outboard recording gear, and I only have two of the reverb pans on hand.

I can send you a couple of power amps if you'd like. If I did another, I think I'd DIY it anyway (just to do it) . They work really well and might give you an idea of what to expect.

Back