Tube Guitar Amp Troubleshooting Method

Travis

Hi everyone! I have an JMI AC30, I can turn on it and everythin looks fine but it´s make no sound (no hiss, no hum...)

I saw this method of Troubleshooting with a Bulb current limiter, it´s a good method??

Thanks

That's not typically a "troubleshooting" method per se... It just tells you if the amp is consuming too much current. If the bulb glows brightly, there is a problem with the amp because it's consuming more current than it's supposed to.

That's not typically a "troubleshooting" method per se... It just tells you if the amp is consuming too much current. If the bulb glows brightly, there is a problem with the amp
And wich method do you recommend to know where is the problem? thanks again, I build some amps but I´m trying to learn how to repair

Well, it's a step by step process. The AC30 is a tough one for the inexperienced as it's a rather involved amp. I'd suggest getting a book on tube amp repair and starting there. Just be aware that tube amps have very high voltages in them which can be life threatening.
Let me look around so I can suggest a good tube amp repair book and I'll report back. There's lots of crap out there but some good ones also. Maybe other members here can suggest a good one?

oh, go to YouTube and look up "uncle Doug" in the search bar. He does a lot of videos on tube amp repair and he's probably the best guy for that on YouTube.

Here's a link to one of his videos, you can find the rest of his videos from there. He also has videos on tube amp theory. Very good:

Check out ampgarage.com. several of those dudes seem to really know what they're doing. If you need help troubleshooting, you'll need to be able to supply schematic, voltages at various points, etc.

Uncle Doug is just the best ! I used to love putting on some of is vids while building pedals! For some reason the YouTube algorithm isn't suggesting his vids to me anymore :/ I'll have to go check out his channel again soon !

Uncle Doug is just the best ! I used to love putting on some of is vids while building pedals! For some reason the YouTube algorithm isn't suggesting his vids to me anymore :/ I'll have to go check out his channel again soon !
He hasn't been putting out a lot of new videos lately

Back