Inexpensive power supply

Single-coil pickups? If so, it's magnetic pickup, most likely from your amp. However, anything powered by the AC line could be the culprit, including fluorescent lights, fans, etc.
Chuck D. - This room is all LED light, no flourescents, no fans. Mostly I use all humbuckers or stacked singles, I almost never use true single coils (metalhead). I have to spin my chair to face a certain wall to get rid of noise and if I swing into certain "hot spots" the noise gets super insane. I may consider running a dedicated 30A 120V circuit to my mancave. I have a cinder block home and my sub panel is 50' away. Could do it with external conduit and just run a dedi circuit instead of having my stuff share the line with whatever the hell else is on the ckt.

I had a caline power supply that was good unless you used more high gain effects or fuzz. It was also poor if you used all slots up and had some hum as a result. I lucked out recently and bought a pedal train novo 24 with flight case and a True Tone cs12 for £140. eBay can be worth it sometimes.

Last edited:
I bought a caline over a year ago and outgrew it quickly, got myself into some noise. It also struggled to power my radial pre which, on paper should have been fine. 3 months later I ordered a gigrig set up. Expensive? Yes but I have no regrets. I'm already planning to get another isolator and will have the option to expand further if necessary..... aaaand let's be honest, with pedalpcb cranking out projects, it'll be necessary eventually.

If money was no object I would 100% go the gigrig route. For my set up i think it would have cost £350+ so I couldn’t condone that for just being a bedroom playa.

If money was no object I would 100% go the gigrig route. For my set up i think it would have cost £350+ so I couldn’t condone that for just being a bedroom playa.
I'm contemplating picking up a generator and an isolator from the gigrig then picking up more bits every few months after that. It does look like an excellent adaptable system.

I really enjoy the pedals (5 built since starting less than a month ago as total noob!) and know when it makes sense to put $$ into quality stuff. The CS12 will do me well and give peace of mind on any noise/issues, etc.

My cheap Stagg 9v supply arrived and like my old one, dead quiet.

annoying that the budget-brand cheap supply is so much quieter than the name-brand one that’s double the price but there you go I guess.

I'm late but I use 2 of these on my board:

61RoiBODI6L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

You also could just build a power supply...
This one can be isolated and not isolated. I don't know where you would get the mini isolated transformers though. Might be able to email the site for the specs. I know you already bought one, but just posting this so people can build one if they want. They are ridiculously simple, that's why truetone can survive as a business selling power supplies. This one is not isolated. Take a look at the gunshots though. It is probably child's play for all the experienced members on the forum. The transformer is cheap too.

You also could just build a power supply...
This one can be isolated and not isolated. I don't know where you would get the mini isolated transformers though. Might be able to email the site for the specs. I know you already bought one, but just posting this so people can build one if they want. They are ridiculously simple, that's why truetone can survive as a business selling power supplies. This one is not isolated. Take a look at the gunshots though. It is probably child's play for all the experienced members on the forum. The transformer is cheap too.

I'd think twice before feeding 120VAC into a perfboard.

You could run an cheap 18V wall-wart into then split it into 10 outputs, each with their own 9V voltage regulator and choke to filter noise... all to create a work-alike of the $30 Donner unit.

Wouldn’t be 120vac on the veroboard just on the transformer primary, secondary is attached to the veroboard which should only be something like 12vac which then gets rectified, filtered, and regulated.

I briefly looked into Rg’s spider power supply diy, real cool but these days with the prevalence of cheap, small, isolated supplies there isn’t any cost or size savings there. 10 or 15 years ago though, it may well have been the best option for someone with the skills

I guess some people just wants to bash my idea. Sure, you could buy a crappy 30-40 dollar powersupply made by child slaves or criminally underpaid workers. Or you could have high quality parts in a not too difficult project, but whatever. 100 dollars is what you pay for a medium quality powersupply. That is a lot. Sure, you aren't gonna save a ton of money, but you are using high quality parts, and you are not supporting communists or Amazon. Speaking of which, if you buy from Amazon, you are getting a product made by communists and underpaid workers working in horrible conditions, and then you have mistreated employees packing it, but whatever. I guess nobody has anything good to say about my posts.

My Otraki supplies, at $32 each, are fantastic and there is no way I could build them myself for that cheap.

Were they made in China? Yes. Were they sold by Amazon? Yes. Do I have a complicated relationship with this? Somewhat, but the products and distributorship would drum on without me and millions of others so I prefer to keep my social and political beliefs off my DIY forums.

Whatever. I don't view it as political, I view it as sympathy for the workers that assemble the products. But I deleted my comment so I guess it doesn't matter.

I mean, we don’t necessarily know anything about the workers who assemble our power supplies anymore than we know about the workers who make our breakfast cereal.

Honestly, all the parts we use are made overseas. Certainly no one is going to stop building pedals because from the switches down to the resistors are built overseas, are they?

I get what you were saying and I’m honestly conflicted about many of my purchases, including those through Amazon but that’s the marketplace right now. I want things and that’s where I get many of them.

I guess another way to view it is even if I built my own power supply, theres no way I could make it look as professionally done as my Otraki units and keep the cost down. So I’d have an ugly, expensive unit.

I think you just have to know your audience. A DIY power supply is a great idea when you don’t have a good, cheap, ready-made alternative at your disposal. In short, it’s a utilitarian piece of equipment that doesn’t benefit, like you said, from top notch parts and construction. Hell, it lives like the pedalboard version of a bridge troll underneath everything else!

As an anecdote, I built my own power distribution box for my Christmas village because there was no alternative that I could buy for a decent price and I didn’t care what it looked like. Now I can flip a switch and turn on/off all the 3vDC fixtures that used to use battery boxes. That was an ideal candidate and cost me $10.

I wouldn’t sweat it. I don’t believe anyone is purposely targeting your posts. Keep posting but keep it light. This is a pedal forum after all.

Wouldn’t be 120vac on the veroboard just on the transformer primary, secondary is attached to the veroboard which should only be something like 12vac which then gets rectified, filtered, and regulated.

I briefly looked into Rg’s spider power supply diy, real cool but these days with the prevalence of cheap, small, isolated supplies there isn’t any cost or size savings there. 10 or 15 years ago though, it may well have been the best option for someone with the skills
The thing is, the truly isolated supplies have a transformer, rectifier, filter and regulator for each output.

If you're not going to do that, then all of your DIY hours are going to result in something just as good or worse than the $35 Donner unit.

Back