Future of the J201 - Moving forward

Should JFET designs omit the through-hole pads and just use SMD pads (for transistors)?

• SMD

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • Through-Hole

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Robert

Reverse Engineer
As everyone is aware by now, through-hole J201s are obsolete and obviously aren't making a comeback. It seems like even the dark corners of the net have run dry.

In the past, when possible, I have tried to include both through-hole and SMD pads for designs that require J201, 2N5457, 2N5485, etc... Some designs are simply too complex to allow this while keeping the board within reasonable dimensions. (or it just looks plain messy)

The majority of the issues reported here with builds involving through-hole J201s has ended up being fake/poor spec transistors, so most are resorting to SMD transistors with a SOT23 adapter board.

This brings me to my question...

From this point forward, when a design doesn't lend itself to "both", should we just omit the through-hole pads and go with SMD pads for the hard-to-find JFETs?
If everyone is using an adapter board anyway, it seems silly to keep beating a dead horse.

I've honestly given up on most through-hole JFETs and have stocked up on SMD J201s, 5457s, and 4393s. It took a bit of getting used to soldering them but I've been so much happier with the results.

I’m very much fine with SMD...but I am also prepared and experienced enough to do so. The hard bargain is for the beginners but maybe run an option as you do with the FV-1 and have them pre soldered? Not sure you want to take that on as well though :p

The beginners are usually the ones who aren't aware of the situation with through-hole J201s and end up getting burned buying fakes....

So on one hand it might deter some of the first-time builders, but on the other hand it could raise awareness to the situation before money is wasted.

Can someone post a link to the Jfet sockets and sockets for the diodes to swap in and out, i want to buy the right ones..

Mike

I use almost exclusively MMBF/MMBFJ transistors but when possible I prefer to have through hole footprint. It's easier to swap transistors soldered to adapters than solder-desolder smd transistor. But I do not see any problem with "smd only" path.

T.

I’m all for SMD pads on the pcbs going forward.

I’ve seen several places selling smd converions boards, which is a great option in the meantime or for building on vero board or bread boarding, which I often like to do. But, I’m surprised I haven’t seen anywhere selling a finished package (smd jfet soldered to conversion board with lead pins). This would be a great replacement option for beginners or builders who just don’t want to mess with it. I’d think there’d be a market for it even priced at a few bucks per jfet. If done at significant volume, chip mounting, with reflow solder and vcutting could make the process very quick for the manufacturer. Anybody heard of something like this?

I’m all for SMD pads on the pcbs going forward.

I’ve seen several places selling smd converions boards, which is a great option in the meantime or for building on vero board or bread boarding, which I often like to do. But, I’m surprised I haven’t seen anywhere selling a finished package (smd jfet soldered to conversion board with lead pins). This would be a great replacement option for beginners or builders who just don’t want to mess with it. I’d think there’d be a market for it even priced at a few bucks per jfet. If done at significant volume, chip mounting, with reflow solder and vcutting could make the process very quick for the manufacturer. Anybody heard of something like this?
guitarPCB was selling 5 packs like this a year or two ago. https://guitarpcb.com/product/j201-factory-soldered-converter-board-5-pack-w-gold-pin-headers/

sadly not anymore.

I’ve been putting off surface mount for awhile and I recently ran out of 2n5457 and was forced and it was way easier than I thought I’d be...
but yeah I got burned a lot first starting out with J201 and 2N5457s... and none of my builds worked and I couldn’t figure out why... it would probably save beginners a lot of discouragement to just have SMD....

Last year I spent a few weeks breadboarding and then building an overdrive design based around j201s I got from eBay before I really understood the situation. I was really happy with the result but now sadly I can’t duplicate it with good smd ones because I now realize the ebay ones measure way out of spec. So in any case, I think education is key. Maybe a note would be helpful on existing projects’ product page or build docs.

I use the adapters and treat these like through holes - because I can't measure and match the SMD ones. I'd be afraid soldering unmeasured and untested transistors onto the board.

I'm stockpiling thru-hole JFETs. My last source of J201s dried up, but there are alternatives. I've done some SMD soldering and I'm still not very good at it. I've watched the pros hand-solder SMD boards and it's a slow painstaking process to do it right. SMD boards are best assembled by machines. At the very least they should be soldered in a reflow oven. Given a choice, I'll pick thru-hole every time. If you can possibly manage it, dual footprint would be appreciated. When the board I want isn't available, I always have Plan B: Vero.
Yeah, that lone thru-hole vote is me.

InterFet is making through-hole J201s and you can buy them at Mouser. Only drawback is they are $3.50 each.

Personally, I've moved on. I actually prefer soldering SOT23 and there are a lot of better JFET options out there than the J201, like the 2SK880. Of course the problem with legacy designs is people want to build them part-for-part.

I came to the party too late to stock up on through hole FETs, and so avoided all FET projects until recently when I discovered SDM soldering isn't as bad as I feared, so I'm all for SMD FETS now.

Would it be possible to design a utility board to test SMD JFETs for matching purposes?

I came to the party too late to stock up on through hole FETs, and so avoided all FET projects until recently when I discovered SDM soldering isn't as bad as I feared, so I'm all for SMD FETS now.

Would it be possible to design a utility board to test SMD JFETs for matching purposes?

These cheapo components testers are pretty slick and have pads for SMD.

Attachments

• 3B08D236-37DB-4749-A7B5-23154B5B5FF6.jpeg
    3B08D236-37DB-4749-A7B5-23154B5B5FF6.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 41
Back