SOLVED Does anyone have Octagon firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJS

I have built the arachnid platform and it works with the internal sounds but not with the EEPROM sounds. I have an EEPROM burner and spare EEPROMS, so I can burn one. I contacted pedalpcb a week ago about it but haven't heard back yet. I suspect they are really busy, as they have good at answering in the past. Anyway, while I wait I am pretty keen just to get this finished. Does anyone have the firmware so I can have a go ay doing it myself?

Did you not order a preprogrammed EEPROM when you got the PCB? No EEPROMS come with the Arachnid MultiFX Platform PCB. The EEPROM can be of your choosing for the Arachnid build and is best selected when ordering the Arachnid MultiFX Platform PCB.

If you just need the preprogrammed chip, that EEPROM for the Octagon is available for ordering here:

If you have any of the 24LC32A EEPROMs with 8 patches on it, it should work. (It's not clear that you have any preprogrammed EEPROMs. So I'm unsure if you are having a troubleshooting issue or just need a programmed EEPROM.)

Last edited:
I ordered a programmed EEPROM. It just wasn't working with the EEPROM programs - only the internal patches. PedalPCB has now sent me the firmware and I have burned it to an EEPROM to try, but I haven't had time to actually try it out. Hoping it works because then I have a few ideas for bass specific effects I am going to try and write. Then switch around EEPROMS depending on which instrument I am playing :)

If the external EEPROM isn't working, I'd next check to see if pin #13 of the FV-1 is pulled up at +3.3v. If pin #13 of the FV-1 is low (ground) it will only read the internal patches. I'd also ensure that pin #8 of the EEPROM socket has +3.3v

Looking forward to seeing what a fresh EEPROM does.

Well, the new EEPROM software was the same binary as I already had, but for some reason this seems to work. It is still on the bench but I have put a sine wave through it and got a weird modulated sine wave out the other side. It will have to wait a bit now for me to get time to put a guitar through it. I also now have all kinds of leads coming off for ground, 3.3V and the input to the int/ext pin on the FV1. I wasn't going to add a switch, but I will probably scare one up if I can find one. I know that bass effects often have filters and apply effects mostly to the upper frequency band, so I will play around with that sort of thing and see what I can come up with. Writing new code has to be cheaper than making a whole bunch of new pedals? Maybe? ;)

Writing new code has to be cheaper than making a whole bunch of new pedals? Maybe? ;)

Cheaper? Yes. Easier? Not so much. With some creative PCB fabrication, multiple EEPROMs can be used and switched on the fly - instead of swapping out the single EEPROM in an Arachnid build.

I am a home hobbyist though who does this pedal thing mostly as a way of enjoying the process of creation - and my wife is starting to hint that maybe a cheaper hobby might not be bad. I figure I can write and rewrite code for ages now without spending much money, and hopefully enjoy the creation just as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back