Tiny Speakers

fig

Village Idiot
I was shopping over at EG and came across these tiny speakers, so I grabbed some.

WARNING You can damage your ears with the wrong frequency / amplitude, so I was extra CAREFUL! These can be useful or deafening. I stuck one on a breadboard with an A100K and sent some waves through it.
I may try to do a DIY audio probe (onboard speaker), and/or a DIY test rig for split signal effects testing.
I also want to push one until it fails. I'll fashion a damper and share the results.

aFCvT7A.jpg

@fig how does it sound? Any good projects come out of this?
They are built like a small tank. I ran a 392 Hz ( ~G ) sine and ran it to over 3 watts. It distorted, but never blew. Semi-bummer. I was thinking of fashioning a self-contained audio probe or some other type of test unit with an audio feedback.
I'll start an experimentation thread over @ the Test Kitchen (oops, this IS the TK). I've been picking up some interesting components that need to be misused and abused properly. :oops:

Last edited:
I think I have it. Well, not literally because I have no popsicle sticks....yet!

My plan is to build a self-contained audio probe using said stick as both the body and the pcb.

Now I'm off to rifle through the doctor's office trash for some slightly used tongue depressors!

Last night my trainee brought these drivers into work with a cheap little a whatever we attached them to turned that object into a giant speaker.

it was super fun way to experiment, windows sounded really great, metal cabinets had a weird ring but had some great reverb, the mdf table had a lot of bass but lacked high end. The massive xerox printer overall sounded the best.

they were four ohms and maybe as round as a plum, super crazy.

@fig is this something you can do with these or are they just like tweeters?

Last night my trainee brought these drivers into work with a cheap little a whatever we attached them to turned that object into a giant speaker.

it was super fun way to experiment, windows sounded really great, metal cabinets had a weird ring but had some great reverb, the mdf table had a lot of bass but lacked high end. The massive xerox printer overall sounded the best.

Mental picture: Dan and his trainee playing with a vibrator at work. Yup.

I think what I have are basically tweeters, but I've heard of resonating objects with a vibrator or driver. Was it called a Rockit?

I also saw another really cool resonance demonstration using sand poured on a flat surface. They were able to produce patterns by applying certain frequencies and amplitudes to the surface.

I wonder what it'd do in a swimming pool? A tree? The UPS guy? We're gonna find out! I'll obviously need to water-seal the leads...hmm better get a couple of those, it might get ugly.

Okay, I've got my tongue depressors.....did you know that they come in junior and senior sizes? Just seems an odd classification. Anywhoo, I had to order some because apparently the used ones are considered bio-hazards and collected by a company that incinerates it somehow believing that such a thermochemical cleansing will destroy all the bad-guys, leaving a clean fresh scent. Nobody knows. It's just beyond the spectrum of comprehension for 3 dimensional lifeforms, bummer.
These are good. individually wrapped for my protection....they must not know me or my intentions eh?
Now I need to amplify the signal just enough to drive the speaker. Lower "required" part count = more space for optional grooviness. I also need to power this with a coin battery, so that probably means SOIC (at least for the opamp). I've got my eye on something like a PAM8302A, but completely open to input.

The chips ( Datasheet ) are on the way. I have some SOIC to DIP boards, and plan to remove the insulators from the headers once they are soldered to the daughterboard. This will reduce the height by 2.5mm. The excess header leads can be trimmed, and the wires to/from the daughterboard will pass through my board's pads for additional stability.
Unfortunately, I had to order the battery holder, volume control, and power switch elsewhere but having fun is well-worth the postage. I thought about repurposing a larger writing pen body to house everything (imagine clicking and it powering on/off as well as extending / retracting the probe tip). Maybe rev2.

I've got a portable/rechargeable speaker made of one of those. I forgot I even had it, it's been in a drawer for many years. It sounds surprisingly good depending on the surface. Kitchen countertops and large windows seemed to work really well.

IMG_20210917_191551158.jpg

Back