Low Tide Modulator Mockup Pedal - Arriving Soon!

ehehe you got the point it is complicated to unsolder, but I have the impression that the linear pot is usable only in a few points, but I don't know if this is a characteristic of the pedal or a "problem" of this pot.
I suppose you could clip all 6 legs and remove them one by one more easily. I always find it so fiddly to remove a pot.

A 1M pot will sweep the entirety of 1M regardless of taper. The issue is the distribution of resistance along the wiper's sweep. (This is what people mean when they say that a control "bunches up" at one part of the rotation.) In the graph below (line 2), see how the log pot allows for much more nuance in the beginning of the rotation before moving to a much more dramatic sweep when compared to the linear pot (line 1). This is appropriate for audio controls since humans do not perceive increases in volume linearly. This also works for different circuit elements due to their construction.

pottaper.gif

In the Low Tide circuit, that pot is adjusting the SLEW (damp) parameter. If you find that you need more nuanced control there, then swapping it out might be worth it. If you're happy with how that control responds as is, then I would leave it as is.

The pot essentially controls the signal conditioning of the randomizer output. First, the pot adjusts the series resistance leaving the randomizer to form a LPF with R63 and C36. The signal then passes through a unity gain buffer before an inverting op amp stage. The second half of the pot sets the gain for the op amp stage. This construction (with the capacitor) forms an integrator. This circuit block essentially smooths the step transitions from the randomizer. The output is fed (via the DEPTH control) to the VCO input (i.e., the clock for the BBD).

low tide SLEW control.png

You'll have the same control over the behavior of this circuit block with the linear pot, albeit differently. You'll have less fine control over the damping effect of the step transitions and will have to be more precise with your knob adjustment(s).

So, if you're happy with the control you have on the parameter now, I would not advise changing it; if you are not, then you might want to consider swapping it out.

@benny_profane
Perfect explanation, now I have clearer ideas, actually I feel the need to have a less evident change for the first part of the pot than it is now, in fact the logarithmic line at the beginning has a minor increment which is just what I search. Thank you.

Sorry to revive an old post but after waiting for almost 5 months for a single potentiometer from Banzai they had written to me to tell me that they had it but that they are out of stock again (they claim that they sent it to me and it got lost, but I am pretty sure that they simply forgot). Funny thing is that at the moment I bought the potentiometer it was supposedly on stock.

This has been a nightmare and it literally the only thing missing for my build is the alpha 16mm A1M log dual pot. Anyone knows where can I find it in Europe? Banzai has proven to be a failure (and quite unprofessional to be honest) and musikding doesn't have it on stock for weeks already.

Sorry to revive an old post but after waiting for almost 5 months for a single potentiometer from Banzai they had written to me to tell me that they had it but that they are out of stock again (they claim that they sent it to me and it got lost, but I am pretty sure that they simply forgot). Funny thing is that at the moment I bought the potentiometer it was supposedly on stock.

This has been a nightmare and it literally the only thing missing for my build is the alpha 16mm A1M log dual pot. Anyone knows where can I find it in Europe? Banzai has proven to be a failure (and quite unprofessional to be honest) and musikding doesn't have it on stock for weeks already.
The same just happened to me. I just made an order specifically at Banzai BECAUSE they said it was in stock; then I received a mail for a "partially shipped" order. GRRRRRR.
Not the 1st time that things aren't very clear with them.

banzai must thank Europe for the new import regulation, Tayda is more professional and faster but with the new taxes it is no longer economically convenient. Use a linear pot for now if you dont want to wait... Heheh

The same just happened to me. I just made an order specifically at Banzai BECAUSE they said it was in stock; then I received a mail for a "partially shipped" order. GRRRRRR.
Not the 1st time that things aren't very clear with them.
well, be prepared for a world of pain. I have been waiting for mine since early May. I have given up completely on Banzai by now meaning I don't expect to receive the product I have paid (which should be completely unnaceptable).

Funny thing is that, despite me telling them multiple times, they keep showing the damn thing as "in stock". They are the worst.

Basically every MFG & distributor is out of the V3207D, as well as the MN3207 & BL3207.

At this point, unless your willing to wait until Q1 2022, your best bet is to take a chance with eBay. If you're even moderately careful, you can get legit ICs from a ton of vendors. Even Cabintech sells small quantities of MN3207s on there.

Here are my tips:
  1. Search for MN3207 (the most common equivalent) rather than V3207D - BL3207 also works
  2. Look for vendors with no negative feedback for fake/counterfeit parts (last 12 months)
  3. Avoid items that are much cheaper than the others - they're most likely fake
  4. Look for items with pictures of the ICs (see below)
This is what legit MN3207 ICs look like:
MN3207 Legit Angle.jpeg
MN3207 Legit.jpeg

Avoid items that:

Lack the "M" stamp:
MN3207 Fake.png

Use a different font or are missing the line above or below the 2nd digit in the date code:
MN3207 Fake no line.png

Happy hunting!

Hi there: been working a lot with BL3207 & BL3208 & BL3102 since 2004.
Had to buy them in bulk back then when they first came out as a direct-drop-in
remake/clone of the MN3207/-3208/-3102 directly from the Belling/Shanghai factory,
in order to get any at all. (long before C**laudio introduced their V3207/.../... clones).
Designed a TZF-Flanger for a major US FX-manufacturer with these chips in 2007.
They are pre-RoHS. - Readily available. NOS.
Find my username on Eb*y, or contact me through the forum.

Back