Thoughts on Tayda IC's?

Dan M

Thanks for the replies. There was a similar "tayda sourcing" thread but it's a couple years old.

Regarding the PT2399, I bought one from another source and it's very noisy. I could have bought ~4 from Tayda for the same price and sorted them. Which seems to be the lesson regarding that particular chip.

Agree here as well. Used a lot of ICs from them and gotten some other places like smallbear to compare. I couldn’t hear a noticeable difference between a 4558 fro Tayda and one from smallbear.

They used to have great, cheap 2399’s but started getting noisy ones a couple years back so I have been getting them elsewhere since. Though they might be fine again now.

My only gripe with them is that there are things I wish they had, like low profile electro caps or the occasional odd valued pot or less common IC.

Thanks for the replies. There was a similar "tayda sourcing" thread but it's a couple years old.

Regarding the PT2399, I bought one from another source and it's very noisy. I could have bought ~4 from Tayda for the same price and sorted them. Which seems to be the lesson regarding that particular chip.
Yep. I learned that very same lesson with my first delay build.

I have a couple PT2399 I bought from them a year or two ago and have yet to use, I hope they’re ok.

Other than that I’ve ordered many chips and transistors from them and have yet to have an issue.

I did notice the difference in the quality of the markings between TL072 I got from Tayda vs ones I got from Digikey. Both are marked Texas Instruments, but the Tayda ones have a lower resolution marking, if that makes sense. There is no issue with how they work, at least for my purposes.

Reactions: fig
Same here, op-amps I've never had a bad one, PT2399 are the only ones I would say to be nervous about from Tayda, but even on PT2399 with their pricing it's hard to go wrong.
Haven't had a problem with any ICs from Tayda, but I did get a noisy batch of PT2399s once. They worked, but each one sounded uniquely bad compared to each other & the good PT2399s I have.

In general, I have no issues trusting what they sell. The only areas where I am a bit wary is discontinued components (JFETs/Ge diodes) & specialty ICs (think PT2399/OTA/R2R opamps/etc.). If the price seems to too good to be true, it probably is.

My only gripe with them is that there are things I wish they had, like low profile electro caps or the occasional odd valued pot or less common IC.
I'm with you on this, especially for electrolytic cap sizes. They don't seem to have the smaller diameter & height options that Mouser & Digikey have, especially for 25V+ ratings. I'd love it if they could pick up the slack from Smallbear on stuff like transistor arrays/matched pairs, specialty audio ICs (THAT Corp/ALFA/CoolAudio), and synth parts (VCA/VCF/compander/etc.)

Initially, I was not impressed with the appearance of their new co-manufactured "Tayda"-brand pots, but have had no issues whatsoever with their performance. The fact that they are often ~20% less expensive than the Alphas & still come with dust caps is a plus.

I actually have an order arriving today with a bunch of ICs and their Tayda 9MM PCB mount pots. I'll have to post an update on whether everything is legit.

Anyone have experience with SMD ICs from Tayda? I'm curious about their SOIC-16 PT2399s in particular. They're out of stock at the moment, but I have a few on-hand. It's easy enough to socket the DIP stuff but it's more painful to test an SOIC package.

Anyone have experience with SMD ICs from Tayda? I'm curious about their SOIC-16 PT2399s in particular. They're out of stock at the moment, but I have a few on-hand. It's easy enough to socket the DIP stuff but it's more painful to test an SOIC package.
If I remember right they're the narrow SOIC-16, not the wide 300mil package like the PT2399S called out in the datasheet, so that's something to keep in mind if you're looking at footprints. I ordered a couple several years ago from Tayda and I'm trying to remember what I used them for and if they were noisy or not.

I just ordered 100 PT2399S from Smallbear so I can have stock of reliable chips for the foreseeable future though. He still has 300 or so in stock, so I didn't clean him out if you want to go that route.

Thanks vigilante, I have some on-hand and yes they are 150mil rather than the 300mils SBE carries. There is a 150mil version in the Princeton Technology datasheet but it's p/n PT2399-SN. Smallbear's are about 10x more expensive. The cheap price of Tayda's is what drew me in. If I decide to buy more I'd probably just go with the DIP package so I can socket them.

I might have to just test one of these out in a basic breadboarded circuit. I think I have a suitable breakout for this package lying around somewhere. If I do so, I'll follow up with my results.

Smallbear's are about 10x more expensive.
General summary of why I don't order there much :p I only did a couple SMD PT2399 builds and I remember one of them being unusably noisy, so that may have been the one with a Tayda IC. Again I'm not positive as this was probably 2018 and my memory is garbage, but I would say there's a risk of them being a similar case to the through-hole package PT2399, which would explain why my brain wants me to go to SB for them.

And good note on the 150mil part number, thanks :)

I've been using Tayda for about 5 years now with very few complaints. I've noticed that they seem very responsive to requests and I suspect they spend time reading forums. I have noticed many improvements in what they offer and the quality over the years. I mention that because a lot of posts from way-back talk about bad experiences with Tayda that may not be true today.

On the PT2399s, I recently bought 30 from Tayda and they all seemed comparable to the ones I have from SB. I'm not sure the ones considered duds are even out of spec. I think that chip isn't designed for long delays. If you need that you can always add two or three in series, IMO.

Back