Are You Breadboard Baking Yet?

Roughing in the plumbing....

8bkCWwe.jpg

WV8WR0h.jpg

Per @Coda , the Fig Face
I am loving that dress nut and LED bezel!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: fig
Aye I've done a few helping somebody figure out whether his schematics would work etc

Unfortunately I had to take my prototype Stud Tutu off the bb based on a mesa studio 22 preamp but I'd only done the 1st stage after about a year, then your excellent wee test kitchen got me cookin' again

Latest wire storm is the Ruby Tuby

View attachment 18718

My wiring is so minimal as you can see I had a hairdresser friend ask if they could use it to practice
That's awesome!

I just received a Tayda shipment of breadboards, components, wire, terminals, widgets, and whatnots.

So I will be baking soon. Much like the first time cooking a big holiday dinner, I found some recipes then I went to the store and bought a bunch of ingredients. Now it’s time to make some smoke, burn some things, mismatch some things, make something disgusting, and maybe accidentally make something nice.

On a serious note, I read this entire test kitchen forum and appreciate those who have posted and contributed.

I just received a Tayda shipment of breadboards, components, wire, terminals, widgets, and whatnots.

So I will be baking soon. Much like the first time cooking a big holiday dinner, I found some recipes then I went to the store and bought a bunch of ingredients. Now it’s time to make some smoke, burn some things, mismatch some things, make something disgusting, and maybe accidentally make something nice.

On a serious note, I read this entire test kitchen forum and appreciate those who have posted and contributed.
When you’re ready to go check out beavis audio’s breadboard projects. They will help you get an understanding of schematic to breadboard. http://beavisaudio.com/beavisboard/projects/

This weekend I got motivated to breadboard. I chose the COT50, since it's a simple Electra distortion and something I've been meaning to build for years. First I had to remove the parts I had left in the breadboard so long ago I don't even recall what circuit it was anymore--some Devi Ever fuzz that I never ended up building. In the COT50 I auditioned a few different transistors and diodes, as well as the Briggs mods. I'll probably box it up soon.

IMG_20211218_143556815.jpeg

This weekend I got motivated to breadboard. I chose the COT50, since it's a simple Electra distortion and something I've been meaning to build for years. First I had to remove the parts I had left in the breadboard so long ago I don't even recall what circuit it was anymore--some Devi Ever fuzz that I never ended up building. In the COT50 I auditioned a few different transistors and diodes, as well as the Briggs mods. I'll probably box it up soon.

View attachment 20123
Nice! Don't forget to power that upper rail ;)

Nice! Don't forget to power that upper rail ;)
Haha, of course. Just visible in the right side is the dangling power lead, which I unhooked every time I swapped parts. Although I did touch a component while it was plugged in and got a radio station as clear as day... one of the joys of breadboarding.

Now that I look at my pic closely, I noticed the clipping diodes weren't actually clipping... oops. I swapped diodes in and out so hopefully I didn't make that mistake more than once, but it might explain why I didn't care for the 1n270s that are in the picture.

Reactions: fig
lil buddy arrived today. Dry fitted the hardware.

Edit: Just ordered some 9mm potentiometer breadboard adapters from Madbean since I won’t be able to use fuzz size pots for this like I can with my regular Protoboard (bc that has the 45° screw terminals). Just need to decide which values make most sense to solder to the adapters (I got 3 sets of them, for 15 total)— probably don’t need more than two of any one value since I don’t think 3 pots would fit on here at once, and anything bigger I’ll use my full size Protoboard for anyway.

Last edited:
I made the mistake of having a coffee at 3:30pm yesterday OOPSIE and thus stayed up until 1:30am last night pfaffing about with this vaguely TBMKIV derived thing on the breadboard:

SdxeryZ.jpg

FET preamp —> Si darlington —> fuzz knob —> Ge/Si ce/cc-cascade

Still tweaking the resistor values on the last stage, but I'm pretty stoked on how it's coming along. I have a few of those enormous gapco enclosures that are pre-stamped for 3-knobs so I might add either a bias or input cap blend? We'll see I guess?

Anyway!

Happy holidays if you swing that way, have a peaceful weekend if you don't.

I made the mistake of having a coffee at 3:30pm yesterday OOPSIE and thus stayed up until 1:30am last night pfaffing about with this vaguely TBMKIV derived thing on the breadboard:

SdxeryZ.jpg

FET preamp —> Si darlington —> fuzz knob —> Ge/Si ce/cc-cascade

Still tweaking the resistor values on the last stage, but I'm pretty stoked on how it's coming along. I have a few of those enormous gapco enclosures that are pre-stamped for 3-knobs so I might add either a bias or input cap blend? We'll see I guess?

Anyway!

Happy holidays if you swing that way, have a peaceful weekend if you don't.
Dude, the patience needed to tape up and label each resistor. Hats off to you, good sir!

On my breadboard there's today a TBA820M amp, schematic from the datasheet. There are two kind of schematic: one with the voltage on the speaker and one with the ground on the speaker.
I tried the one with the voltage on the speaker.
It sounds, but I have to talk about a weird things. Usually circuit like overdrive, fuzz, etc, worked fine, but this with this I got a sound with a bit of compressed sputtering distortion. And I remember I got about the same thing when I tried with the LM386 Smokey Amp on breadboard, that once on veroboard worked normally.
Could the breadboard work bad with amp?

Dude, the patience needed to tape up and label each resistor. Hats off to you, good sir!
I gave up on using the label maker pretty quickly, it was mostly just the side effect of being excited about owning a label maker.
The handwritten ones do save me a lot of time though - I just have a sheet of small label tags handy and if I need a resistor that isn't already in the bag of breadboard resistors I just stick a label on it.

I gave up on using the label maker pretty quickly, it was mostly just the side effect of being excited about owning a label maker.
The handwritten ones do save me a lot of time though - I just have a sheet of small label tags handy and if I need a resistor that isn't already in the bag of breadboard resistors I just stick a label on it.
I did this for a while too, but it was soooo much work. You may have better luck printing "Cable Wrap" style labels rather than "Cable Flag" style ones.

I now keep a little resistor color code reference taped to my monitor so I can check values at a glance. You'd be surprised how quickly you start to recognize common values!

Back