Compressors I built in 2021

almondcity

I have a problem. Listed below in chronological order with my thoughts.

1) PedalPCB Delegate (Boneyard) [magenta] - Smooth optical compressor. Not much else for me to say, I soon learned that it was not an optical compressor I was looking for.
2) PedalPCB Creamery Compressor [white] - I like this one, it's got a chewy kind of compression, but it does seem to very slightly muddy my tone and it's fairly "hissy" at higher compression levels. Not unusable by any means but you don't really want to use the compression knob above about 1 o'clock. I'd place this as my 3rd favorite.
3) Aion Meridian [light green] - This is probably my favorite on the list. I believe it's basically a Dynacomp with tone control and exciter circuit. Really lets you sculpt the tone and the compression is fairly nice sounding although I used a C taper pot and so mine basically lives at about 10 o'clock. Going too hard on the sustain might not sound too great.
4) madbean Cupcake [purple] - Orange squeezer, I put the volume knob as a trim pot inside so it has no knobs. I like this one too but mine seems to cut a little more highs than I like. Go for this if you don't want to fiddle with those pesky knobs.
5) Jack Orman Q&D compressor [dark green] - This one is a bit nuts. It apparently has a compressor, limiter, and noise gate in one low parts count package. The compression on this is VERY nice, doesn't seem to change my tone at all. Some settings provide some sick overdrive tones. The reason this is a love/hate pedal for me is the noise gate. I socketed a bunch of stuff as I read about this issue, so I ended up changing a few values from the schematic to get the gate how I wanted it. But it is still kind of a distracting effect, not unusable but I would use this only if I had some heavy dirt later because you can use this to keep your signal 100% quiet when not playing. The amount of "juice" on tap is quite ridiculous. Pretty cool pedal overall, I recommend.
6) Lectric FX Rubber Band [dark gray] - This is a compressor plus parametric eq and noise gate. I will say the noise gate on this one is a little less intrusive than the Orman pedal, it's very nice. The eq is nice as well. I like this pedal but I just feel like it didn't have the best compression sound relative to my other builds so I don't really see myself using this one much. Pretty high parts count as well.
7) Pellucid compressor [black] - I just finished this and I love it. It was designed by jonny reckless over at DIYStompboxes forums and he said I bought the last PCB from him but I believe there are gerber files there if you want to build it. The compression is very nice on this and it is very quiet, as was the design challenge for this. Pretty low parts count. I think this is probably my 2nd favorite right now.

I think I may try to build one more optical compressor in 2022, I was thinking madbean Flatline. Anyone have a favorite optical compressor?

Thanks for reading, have a great 2022!

Attachments

• 20211231_103834-small.jpg
    20211231_103834-small.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20211231_104019-small.jpg
    20211231_104019-small.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 65
I built the Meridian to bass specs and was completely underwhelmed with it on bass. I then tried it with guitar and it sings. It also plays with fuzz pedals in interesting ways.

Good looking builds and a nice collection, but you've gotta get some gut shots up as well!

I built the Meridian to bass specs and was completely underwhelmed with it on bass. I then tried it with guitar and it sings. It also plays with fuzz pedals in interesting ways.

Good looking builds and a nice collection, but you've gotta get some gut shots up as well!
If you want to see guts of the PedalPCB boards I think I posted them when I made them. Some of the others are hot messes inside. The PPCB layout and off-board wiring is simply the best imo.

If you want to see guts of the PedalPCB boards I think I posted them when I made them. Some of the others are hot messes inside. The PPCB layout and off-board wiring is simply the best imo.
I agree with offboard wiring and all that with PPCB. He's really got a mind for design and ease of use, making even dummies like me look like they know what they're doing. I also like the pad size on the PCBs. I like the Aion and MB build docs the most, however. I find myself reading through them just for fun, same with Dead End.

I guess you need to try the Philosopher's Tone next, eh?
Or the Engineer's Thumb?

Please keep us posted when you have an "all-time favorite."

Planning on a madbean Flatline build early next year

I have to say, the Orman Q&D compressor is very very good the more I get used to it. The noise gate issue is fine once I swapped one capacitor around. One other small issue is that it doesn't really have a "volume" knob, just the gain control which I believe is before the compression so unity volume is hard to achieve. Not a dealbreaker for me. This is a very exciting compressor to play. I'd highly recommend this one. Very low parts count; the 2166 chip is relatively expensive ($8) from smallbear but it's worth

Planning on a madbean Flatline build early next year

I have to say, the Orman Q&D compressor is very very good the more I get used to it. The noise gate issue is fine once I swapped one capacitor around. One other small issue is that it doesn't really have a "volume" knob, just the gain control which I believe is before the compression so unity volume is hard to achieve. Not a dealbreaker for me. This is a very exciting compressor to play. I'd highly recommend this one. Very low parts count; the 2166 chip is relatively expensive ($8) from smallbear but it's worth

Try the Madbean 4:1, it's a Flatline with added dry volume in parallel with the compressed volume. It's my favorite compressor by far, I use it with acoustic, electric or bass with great results!

I use two compressors : Meridian and a Walrus deep six. The meridian is the one I use the most, and the one i find the most interesting when connected to other circuits. I think that "sustain" on Meridian can increase the string attack sound, but not as much as on the Deep six though.

I am not sure something better than Meridian even exists... yet...

Edit : I built the Engineer's thumb, it's really fine but so subtle, so transparent. It feels like it's not even there and some players might be looking for that...

Last edited:
I can recommend four optical drives: PedalPCB General Tso's Compressor (ThorpyFX General), Madbean Rough Cut (Modified Diamond Compressor), AionFX Convex (Dinosaural OTC-201) and the AionFX Oceanid (Cornish OC-1). These are all quite a bit different than the Delegate. I'll have to build the Meridian - I have the pcb so I guess I don't have an excuse.

I can recommend four optical drives: PedalPCB General Tso's Compressor (ThorpyFX General), Madbean Rough Cut (Modified Diamond Compressor), AionFX Convex (Dinosaural OTC-201) and the AionFX Oceanid (Cornish OC-1). These are all quite a bit different than the Delegate. I'll have to build the Meridian - I have the pcb so I guess I don't have an excuse.
I'm definitely interested in the Aion Convex, does it get squishy or is it more subtle?

It's subtle. Definitely, not a squishy compressor. The Cornish, as I recall, is even more subtle. The Diamond Comp is somewhere in between a boost and a compressor. I just played them all. I prefer the Convex and the General Tso's Compressor. They are very similar.

Well I did build a madbean Afterlife. Pretty easy build. I do like this pedal but it confirms my initial thought that I don't tend to prefer the optical compressor style. I'll have to spend some more time with this but it probably won't be a mainstay on my board

Attachments

• 2022-01-29 19.08.57.jpg
    2022-01-29 19.08.57.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 2022-01-29 19.09.20.jpg
    2022-01-29 19.09.20.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Pity optical isn’t your thing, as the Diamond would’ve been my recommendation.

Thanks for the extensive list of summaries.

I’ve got the chip for the Orman Q&D but haven’t ordered the PCB yet, your review has reignited that fire.

Pity optical isn’t your thing, as the Diamond would’ve been my recommendation.

Thanks for the extensive list of summaries.

I’ve got the chip for the Orman Q&D but haven’t ordered the PCB yet, your review has reignited that fire.
The Orman is really good. You'll definitely want to do some research on it and socket some stuff. I ended up changing the one cap from like 4.7uF to something under 1uF to get the noise gate to shut really quickly. YMMV

I have gotten to play the Flatline more and I am enjoying it more. I prefer it to my Delegate but don't like it as much as some others yet

This thread got me into a compressor buzz! Here are my experiences so far:

General Tso - great but colours the top end, nice for low gain single coil stuff.
Deep Six - nice for anything with gain. i feel like it colours the sound without sounding like it’s colored if that makes sense.
Constrictor - my favourite thus far. Transparent and simple. No colouring, really nice.
Pale Green clone - lovely top end but can struggle with attack. Great with single coils.

This thread got me into a compressor buzz! Here are my experiences so far:

General Tso - great but colours the top end, nice for low gain single coil stuff.
Deep Six - nice for anything with gain. i feel like it colours the sound without sounding like it’s colored if that makes sense.
Constrictor - my favourite thus far. Transparent and simple. No colouring, really nice.
Pale Green clone - lovely top end but can struggle with attack. Great with single coils.
What did you use for the vactrol on the Constrictor? This sounds my type of compressor based on the video's I've seen.

Edit: I just ordered some XVive VTL5C10's from FleavilBay. Hope they're legit......

Last edited:
What did you use for the vactrol on the Constrictor? This sounds my type of compressor based on the video's I've seen.

Edit: I just ordered from XVive VTL5C10's from FleavilBay. Hope they're legit......
I used VTL5C10 from Aliexpress:

They also worked well in my good vibes build.

I built the Guyatone PS-021 Guitar Exciter / Compressor (AionFX Meridian Exciter / Compressor). I have to say that I really like this exciter / compressor. Madbean is coming out with a Boss CS-3 board, this month. My two favorites, right now, are the OTC-201 and the Guyatone. I'm not a big compressor guy. I just use a little compression at the start of my chain. I find it just sounds a little bit better.

Back