Kliche mini Zener

Svenson007

Hey guys. I want to build a kliche (klone) but I don’t have the 12v 1 watt Zener called for. I do have some 9.1v Zener. I believe it’s limiting the voltage reaching the charge pump. So couldn’t I just use my 9.1v? I saw on another forum that you probably can. But I trust you guys here so any help would be great.

Attachments

• 7130A2DB-15BD-4D7D-8E72-0E6A24C1F5EB.jpeg
    7130A2DB-15BD-4D7D-8E72-0E6A24C1F5EB.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 6
You could use 9.1V but it'll be right on the verge of dumping current to ground if your power supply puts out a hair above 9V.

I would probably just omit it before I would substitute it with a lower voltage... just don't power it above 9V and you'll be fine.

If you want reverse polarity protection you could put a 1N4001 - 1N4007 in it's place, although I'm not particularly fond of parallel diode to ground polarity protection.

You could use 9.1V but it'll be right on the verge of dumping current to ground if your power supply puts out a hair above 9V.

I would probably just omit it before I would substitute it with a lower voltage... just don't power it above 9V and you'll be fine.

If you want reverse polarity protection you could put a 1N4001 - 1N4007 in it's place, although I'm not particularly fond of parallel diode to ground polarity protection.
Cool! Thanks so much. And thanks for your awesome pcbs.

How is that supposed to help?
Drops the input voltage just a tiny bit and forms a lowpass filter for the power noise. Probably not a huge issue with the Centaur, but in some circuits I found it makes a noticable difference in noise whether you have a CLR or not in front of the power supply. And in charge pump circuits I generally like to add one.

Back