‘86 MXR Power Amp Distortion

sticky1138

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
v9jZoNt.jpg
XLUeGpi.jpg
Q3dfT1O.jpg

Last week I was browsing Craigslist and came across this oddity. The guy wanted $40 for it, but I haggled him down to $25. I didn’t know much about the pedal, but it turns out the MXR Power Amp Distortion had an extremely limited run in 1986 and is hard to come by these days. It’s beat up, but sounds amazing!

But if you have no imagination, it’s a PCBGM Acapulco Lite in a bootleg enclosure that I threw down my driveway a few times.

I’ve already expressed my opinion on the quality control behind PCBGM boards, but this is one of their few good offerings. The pre-gain mod (which is easy to add to any Acapulco PCB) is well worth it and makes the pedal more versatile and usable at lower volumes.

I went with the PCBGM version because it has the mod built-in that I could easily cram it into a 1590B with the MXR layout. It’s a monster and fun to play with fat power chords and low-tempo, sludgy riffs. I have at least a dozen drive pedals, and this one actually makes it into my rotation.

Consider this Entry 1 in my “alternate universe” (i.e. shitposting/counterfeiting operation) series. Up next is a two-channel preamp from Electro-Harmonix, this time a PedalPCB. Stay tuned!

Back