$0.50 Tayda Alpha pots for guitar?

mjh36

Anyone ever used them as guitar volume/tone pots? I mean besides longevity/tolerance quality of others, doesn't seem that bad to use right?

I've had no real issues with them. Depending on the value of the pot they might not be exact but there is a tolerance threshhold on all resistors. Can't beat the price too.

I've had no real issues with them. Depending on the value of the pot they might not be exact but there is a tolerance threshhold on all resistors. Can't beat the price too.
Ya and if they crap out, they're 50 cents. It's for an upcoming guitar build. A couple normal $5 pots is fine too, but I run my volume/tone on 10 mostly anyway and I have a bin of them already, plus I think most of us play guitar 6 feet away from a soldering gun if anything happens.

My only concern with those pots from Tayda (even if they are Alpha) is that some are stiff- which is fine on a pedal, but I would not want that on a guitar where I'm trying to control Volume / Tone with my pinky. For $0.50, I'd order a few extras just in case. :)

My only concern with those pots from Tayda (even if they are Alpha) is that some are stiff- which is fine on a pedal, but I would not want that on a guitar where I'm trying to control Volume / Tone with my pinky. For $0.50, I'd order a few extras just in case. :)
Agreed

I actually LIKE stiff pots. I like a fair amount of resistance because I have a tendency to bump pots when I'm strumming through. Especially mid-performance when I'm acting like an idiot.

I actually LIKE stiff pots. I like a fair amount of resistance because I have a tendency to bump pots when I'm strumming through. Especially mid-performance when I'm acting like an idiot.
Exactly, for the reason in fact I'm trying to go 1 volume 1 tone, and move them down, so I don't have the volume in the traditional strat spot. Drives me crazy to start chugging and look down to see my volume on 6.

Exactly, for the reason in fact I'm trying to go 1 volume 1 tone, and move them down, so I don't have the volume in the traditional strat spot. Drives me crazy to start chugging and look down to see my volume on 6.
Story of my life. And I don't even use a tone pot whenever possible. I like to do two volume pots and that's it. So I get double the chance to screw it up.

Spray that sucker with contact cleaner and give it a few turns, you'll wash out all of the silicone grease inside and it'll turn just by looking at it wrong.
Interesting. Gonna have to give that a shot, thanks!

Back