18 Volt Pedals?

ThinAir

Is there some running list of which PedalPCB pedals are ok to run at 18 volts and the ones that it’s a big no no?

I can't give you a list, and maybe others can chime in with more info. But generally, following these considerations, and searching the web for opinions about running the specific pedal at 18v should tell you if it's a good idea or not.

When considering if a pedal can run at 18v...
1. Does the pedal have a chip that increases the voltage internally (like a klon)? If so then it's usually a bad idea to feed it 18v.
2. Did you use components that rated for more than 18v? The ones you typically need to watch are the electrolytic capacitors, which can come at 16v.

OD, Distortion, and Boost pedals can have a different sound at higher voltages. This is the category normally associated with trying higher voltages.
Some fuzzes are sensitive to the input voltage, and running at 18v may throw off the bias that gives them their sound (I've only worked on a few fuzzes so I'm a bit shaky).
Modulation effects often won't benefit from 18v, and in some cases won't work correctly.
Digital effects (using FV-1, PT-2399, and Belton Brick reverb) aren't designed for 18v. They all use voltage regulators to supply 3.3v (FV-1) or 5v (PT-2399/Belton), so I don't think 18v would damage the digital chip. But I also don't see any benefit to using 18v.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm building the Thermionic Deluxe right now. It can be run at 18 volt, like the original, as long as I use the higher voltage Electrolytic caps? I'm pretty sure all the other caps are higher value.

Back