1n5817 end of life

Hey all! Noticed that the 1n5817 is scheduled to be discontinued (at least from this manufacturer) and I was curious if this happens often with different components (and they either go back into production eventually or with a different company) or if this is really it for this diode which I believe is in almost every pedal I’ve ever built?
What’s the consensus? Time to stock up? ?
Thanks!

This happens all the time, particularly with discrete and leaded components. Semiconductor manufacturers go where the volume is. All the Pedal Builders in the world don't buy as many parts as one cell phone mfgr. If we're lucky, the same part is being made by someone else. Otherwise we have to find an equivalent part. Fortunately, in the case of the 1N5817 there are plenty of options. It's always a good idea to have a stash of parts you use all the time because supplies and prices fluctuate.

This happens all the time, particularly with discrete and leaded components. Semiconductor manufacturers go where the volume is. All the Pedal Builders in the world don't buy as many parts as one cell phone mfgr. If we're lucky, the same part is being made by someone else. Otherwise we have to find an equivalent part. Fortunately, in the case of the 1N5817 there are plenty of options. It's always a good idea to have a stash of parts you use all the time because supplies and prices fluctuate.
That totally makes sense. Can't fight the future! Oddly I had just ordered a boatload of them, so I'm good for a while luckily.

Semiconductors are kind of like prescription drugs. Somebody makes a tiny tweak to an existing product and now it's the next big thing. Then after a while, the generics come out, and the original lab can't charge as much anymore. If it's a "legacy" type product, they may continue to manufacture it simply because of customer demand, and because the R&D and tooling costs are low. At some point, they may decide the opportunity cost of continuing to manufacture that product instead of whatever latest and greatest they could be manufacturing is just too high, and they obsolete it and let somebody else continue producing the generic for anybody who might still depend on it.

Hey Crookedteeth, scroll down to the documents on the mouser page for the ON Semiconductor 1N5817, you will see an EOL document that lists all discontinued devices and possible replacements. This doc says the 1N5817G is a replacement. The two look pretty similar just have a different forward voltage and reverse current. Also slightly different in size. So unless you are using this as clipping diodes, the replacement should be good.

Back