1uf caps for terrarium

JUSS10

so the board layout looks like you are supposed to use the larger box film caps but those prevent the daisy from sitting all the way down in the header. Can I use MLCC 1uf caps in place of the 3 box caps on the board? Thanks!

so the board layout looks like you are supposed to use the larger box film caps but those prevent the daisy from sitting all the way down in the header. Can I use MLCC 1uf caps in place of the 3 box caps on the board? Thanks!
I use mlcc for all the larger caps, they’re just too damn big.

While the WIMA 1µF 50V film caps are more expensive, they possess the smaller box film form factor of
Body Height : 8.5mm
Body Length : 7.3mm
Body Width : 3.5mm

Tayda has them at 49¢ each . . . .
Mouser has them too, but at closer to $1 each.

While the WIMA 1µF 50V film caps are more expensive, they possess the smaller box film form factor of
Body Height : 8.5mm
Body Length : 7.3mm
Body Width : 3.5mm

Tayda has them at 49¢ each . . . .
Mouser has them too, but at closer to $1 each.
I think I paid around 40 cents apiece last time at Mouser (for qty 100), but they were 5% tolerance and that actually matters in a few things I use them for. Great to know that Tayda stocks them though, thanks!

BTW, where do you all get C0G MLCC 1uF caps from?

I think I paid around 40 cents apiece last time at Mouser (for qty 100), but they were 5% tolerance and that actually matters in a few things I use them for. Great to know that Tayda stocks them though, thanks!

BTW, where do you all get C0G MLCC 1uF caps from?
Tayda

I went with 1uF MLCC in mine. Thats the way to go. It gives enough clearance to add sockets and the height isnt an issue.

IMG-1241.jpg

IMG-1242.jpg

Or just buy once cry once and get the machined socket at Tayda.

A-4653.jpg.jpg

$0.59 for the machined (pictured above), or...
$.013 for the flyleaf that will fail + $0.59 for the machined socket shoulda bought in the first place + time $$$ and aggravation $$$... = US$41.79

Everything in that link is still X7R... ;)

But in any case, if I need to go really compact on coupling caps I mostly just use SMD acrylics from Panasonic or CDE. They're a little tricky to hand solder and only go up to 16V rating, but they are small!
Ha! I didn't read the details after setting the search for C0G. My bad.

Last edited:
Ha! I didn't read the details after setting the search for COG. My bad.
All good, just one of those things that's on my casual watch list right now. I find that the Mouser search function often works best if you already have a specific part number in hand before you start, FWIW.

Sockets may seem like a good idea, but they’re meant for IC legs, not male headers as used on Daisy (and other microcontroller modules.) Female headers as linked in the second post here are cheap and correct. And they create appropriate space for all the parts underneath.

Back