2 Compressor Builds

MichaelW

In my quest to sample as many DIY compressor builds as possible, I just wrapped these two builds up this weekend. (Busy weekend for me! An NGD, a fuzz and two compressors!)

First up is the MadBeans "RoughCut" which is variation of the Diamond Optical Compressor.

I'm not familiar with this compressor but from the documentation it sounds like this MBP version has some mods to the original.

It's a super smooth compressor and like the other opto compressors I've built, it's not super "in your face" kind of compression. But I would agree with MBP that it is a very "detailed, articulate and smooth" compressor and sounds great! There's actually quite a bit of available compression but I find that at the highest end of the comp range it starts to get some "artifacts". Almost like a bit of light clipping. Just messing around with it today it sounds the best to me with the comp control around 12 to 1 o'clock. There's a pretty effective tone stack with a pretty wide sweep from bass to treble, so you can dial in as much color as you want. One of the mod's is a EQ bypass toggle which bypasses the tone stack completely. I've found that it's very transparent with the EQ defeated and prefer this setting.
There's also an option for a second toggle for a high cut. But I left it out of the build. I didn't think I'd ever need a high cut on an optical compressor and I think it was the right call. It overlaps what the tone knob can already do.

There's more compression range than the other optical compressors I've build (Delegate, Constrictor, and Cornish OC-1). Up till now it's been a toss up which I like better, the OC-1 or the Constrictor. Now there's a 3rd contender in the mix of my choices for an optical compressor. Really really like it a lot so far.

This was also my first MadBeans build and the workflow threw me off a bit. It was a tight build and the pads seemed like they were super close to each other. I spent a bit of extra time cleaning and examining my work after populating the board under a magnifier because I could swear I left some solder bridges. But it all turned out ok and fired right up first time.

I made a couple of substitutions, there were some oddball resistor values and I just used the next closest I had on hand. Doesn't seem to have effected it. Otherwise followed the BOM.

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

Last edited:
The second compressor I built is also an MBP project, the "Oracle". I've heard so many people rave about the Boss CS-3 compressor that when I learned there was an MPB board I decided to see what the fuss was all about. Very glad I did! It's another AWESOME compressor.

This is a VCA based compressor and from what I can suss, it's a pretty straightforward clone.

It does sound a little different from the opto compressors and the Ross-type retail compressors I've used in the past. (Keeley, Wampler Ego)

The documentation talks about endless sustain, man, they're not kidding, this pedal can definitely deliver sustain in spades.
It's also pretty quiet as far as compressors go. I'm still messing around with it figuring out what settings I like but another great compressor option. This one can get pretty squishy if that's what you're looking for.

Had to make a couple of substitutions on this one. I couldn't find a THAT2181 when I was collecting the bits for this build so I used a CoolAudio V2181. Works great! I also could not find a NMJ2904D Op-Amp so I subbed an LM358N, also seems to work great!

I tried to use a PedalPCB 3PDT board and probably should have just wired the switch directly. Turned out a little convoluted with the way I/o is arranged on the MBP board. I was pretty careful about making sure nothing was shorting against something else with the off board wiring and was kinda expecting for it not to work first try. But it did fire right up!

Another really sweet compressor. I think the last one on my wishlist is the General Tso's and and unless @PedalPCB comes up with a Cali76 project I'm probably gonna call it a day after that.....I've got some great options to choose from with my harem of DIY compressors:)

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3241.JPG

Last edited:
Love it. I got to try these. I have an Oceanid and Delegate in the backlog to add to the compression options. I currently keep the Tso on the board. The treble cut lets me switch between single and humbuckers easily.

Clean builds, as always.

How do you organise your pedals? You've got enough builds now that I'd have trouble differentiating which had what circuit inside, and what the knobs do...

I, too, want to build all the compressors.
Well I have them all on a rotating CD shelf that I inherited from my father in law when he passed. I pick one up and stare at it until I remember what it was........:)

In all seriousness, it's becoming a problem with all the pedals I've built. I "generally" can remember what it was by looking at it.
But I have all my build pics in a folder sorted by project name, any special notes and the build doc. So if I can't remember what the knobs do I'll look it up in the build docs. I really need to get over my fear of graphics and start incorporating even something minimal, like knob labels. heh

In my quest to sample as many DIY compressor builds as possible, I just wrapped these two builds up this weekend. (Busy weekend for me! An NGD, a fuzz and two compressors!)

First up is the MadBeans "RoughCut" which is variation of the Diamond Optical Compressor.

I'm not familiar with this compressor but from the documentation it sounds like this MBP version has some mods to the original.

It's a super smooth compressor and like the other opto compressors I've built, it's not super "in your face" kind of compression. But I would agree with MBP that it is a very "detailed, articulate and smooth" compressor and sounds great! There's actually quite a bit of available compression but I find that at the highest end of the comp range it starts to get some "artifacts". Almost like a bit of light clipping. Just messing around with it today it sounds the best to me with the comp control around 12 to 1 o'clock. There's a pretty effective tone stack with a pretty wide sweep from bass to treble, so you can dial in as much color as you want. One of the mod's is a EQ bypass toggle which bypasses the tone stack completely. I've found that it's very transparent with the EQ defeated and prefer this setting.
There's also an option for a second toggle for a high cut. But I left it out of the build. I didn't think I'd ever need a high cut on an optical compressor and I think it was the right call. It overlaps what the tone knob can already do.

There's more compression range than the other optical compressors I've build (Delegate, Constrictor, and Cornish OC-1). Up till now it's been a toss up which I like better, the OC-1 or the Constrictor. Now there's a 3rd contender in the mix of my choices for an optical compressor. Really really like it a lot so far.

This was also my first MadBeans build and the workflow threw me off a bit. It was a tight build and the pads seemed like they were super close to each other. I spent a bit of extra time cleaning and examining my work after populating the board under a magnifier because I could swear I left some solder bridges. But it all turned out ok and fired right up first time.

I made a couple of substitutions, there were some oddball resistor values and I just used the next closest I had on hand. Doesn't seem to have effected it. Otherwise followed the BOM.

View attachment 29249

View attachment 29250
Cool. Somebody gave me an OC-1 board a couple of years ago and I'm just finally getting around to procuring the parts for it. I'll probably build at least a few other clone boards too before I get to rolling my own.

nice builds, the CS-3 may be the next compressor for my pile, glad to read about the subs you made

edit: have you considered the DOD Milkbox (Creamery)? I think it should be similar to this style of compression

nice builds, the CS-3 may be the next compressor for my pile, glad to read about the subs you made

edit: have you considered the DOD Milkbox (Creamery)? I think it should be similar to this style of compression
The irony is that the THAT2181 came back in stock at Mouser after I ordered the CoolAudio. But I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference.

I actually did look at the Creamery as well but saw that it needed basically twice as many of everything (VCA's and Op-Amps) so I decided to try the CS-3 first. But now that you mentioned it....and I looked again.....of course I have to build it now......I'm so easily influenced....:)

Back