2SK208-Y available

Kroars

While their are certainly respectable sellers on eBay, I typically only consider buying there as a last resort as we all have had our negative experiences with the site. However, seeing as there seems to be no 2sk208-Y’s available at the moment I happened upon these.....as a last resort. Sellers stats look good (11,000+ sales at 100%) and they did include a photo of the actual Toshiba reel of smd’s. I went ahead and ordered some. Pricing isn’t terrible, shipping isn’t horrible considering it’s from the UK so I thought I’d share:

Reactions: fig
Taobao is a shot in the dark: https://s.taobao.com/search?q=2SK208-Y

You'll need fluent Mandarin, and a forwarder as the sellers don't ship outside of the PRC.

I think this is where I got mine from: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...19wAvj&id=588806753162&ns=1&abbucket=9#detail
Good to know. The folks in the UK are selling in packs of 10, I just bought 3 (30 total) and looks like they’ll be here in July 7. Not sure what I’m gonna do with 30, but they were a good price and I figured what the hell.

When I look for jfets, it's like transistors, it's not the part number but the specs that matter. Often there is a current production part that will fall within the same range as the original part. Check the data sheet for specs. I never get hung up on stuff like that, unless your selling mojo and street cred.
Despite my best efforts, I don’t have much street cred but I do deal in mojo. Seems to be all the rage for buyers of hand built pedals. That’s primarily why I use $0.50 Wima caps instead of the just as good $0.09 Kemet’s. Doubt they have an audible difference, but everyone knows red sounds way better so Wima it is!

Despite my best efforts, I don’t have much street cred but I do deal in mojo. Seems to be all the rage for buyers of hand built pedals. That’s primarily why I use $0.50 Wima caps instead of the just as good $0.09 Kemet’s. Doubt they have an audible difference, but everyone knows red sounds way better so Wima it is!
Isn't the 2SK208 the SMD equivalent of the 2SK30A?

Tayda's got plenty of 2SK30A right now:

The numbers do seem to be the same. Can someone smarter than me verify?

If I could get the DCA75 to cooperate. Apparently it doesn't like a VM so I can't post a groovy output....
The test condition values used were a bit different, and I don't know (or likely understand) the equation to determine if it is indeed within the tolerances of that particular datasheet.....BUT...it appears to, so I'll shove it in a pedal in place of a J201 and see if anything ignites 🤪

No joy. THe first pedal that came to mind was Booger [Boogie Monster]. Loaded with 201s. No dice with these K30As (or whatever they are).

No joy. THe first pedal that came to mind was Booger [Boogie Monster]. Loaded with 201s. No dice with these K30As (or whatever they are).
May want to double-check the pinouts, I think the 2SK30A and J201 are different. I also wouldn't necessarily expect a 2SK30A to be a drop-in replacement for a J201 depending on the circuit, it's got much larger parameter ranges so for picky circuits designed around J201s who knows

Last edited:
You are correct of course, but I had fun and re-biased my Booger so no loss. Maybe I'll try it in the Low Tide.

You are correct of course, but I had fun and re-biased my Booger so no loss. Maybe I'll try it in the Low Tide.
Is the Low Tide the one @Kroars is looking for 2SK208s for?

@PedalPCB in the Low Tide, is this JFET just a buffer, or does it actually do something so the choice of JFET may actually affect the sound?

Not sure, but I know ppcb noted a J201 was a suitable replacement. I have one in mine.

Back