3 Projects for a Friend

phi1

My friend who plays mostly bass (he plays guitar a bit too) had me do these 3 projects. He designed the decals and they turned out great, so it was fun work together on that and have him share some of the creative fun. This was my first time using solid white waterslide decal paper (for the gray and purple ones) (I normally use clear paper). Color matching to the enclosure was tricky, but I'm pretty happy with how the colors turned out.

1. Mad Professor Snow White Auto-Wah (pcb from fuzzdog). Lots of fun to play on guitar, I may have to build another to keep... I wasn't able to find any info on the official MP bass version, but I found a comment on the revolution deux site that recommended changing C4 & C5 (fuzzdog schematic #s) from 22n to 47n to change the frequencies it sweeps through. I installed the 22n caps on the board, and the switch brings in an additional 22n in parallel for each of these in bass mode. I agree the range is nicer for bass now in this mode.

2. Engineer's Thumb Compressor (pcb from fuzzdog). We went with all the knobs, but omitted the bright sw since he will primarily be using it for bass. If I build this again, I'd probably omit the attack and release knobs (standard is attack min, release max). According to valve wizard (the circuit designer), the ratio and threshold knobs are somewhat redundant, but just while playing with the pedal a little bit I thought having both helped me dial it in where I wanted, but that was only a limited trial.

3. Behringer BSY600 rehouse. He said he likes the sound of this one but can't really use it live since it's unreliable and cuts out sometimes. Assuming that's related to the jacks, this should be fine now since I replaced the jacks. Initially I was hoping to reuse the 9mm board mounted pots of the original. But, the original knobs do not have much overlap, so the drill locations would have to be very precise to not be able to see the holes. It also seems to rely on the tight fit of between the knobs and holes for some mechanical stability, so if the holes were off, it would put stress on the solder joints. So, I decided to offboard wire all 6 knobs. Obviously this was a pain, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. The stomp switch is momentary, connects to the tact sw mounted on the pcb. The sound is not really for me, but I'm sure he'll be able to make it sound musical.

Attachments

• SWAW.JPG
    SWAW.JPG
    751.5 KB · Views: 25
  • SWAW gut.JPG
    SWAW gut.JPG
    626.8 KB · Views: 25
  • ET.jpg
    ET.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 25
  • ET gut.jpg
    ET gut.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 21
  • BSY.jpg
    BSY.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 21
  • BSY gut.jpg
    BSY gut.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 20
Excellent work there and thanks for the cap hint for the SWAW as I'm interested in building one myself!
Fab graphics, top notch work!

Back