9v to 18v switch question

PAGOON

Hello I’m new here and I have a quick question I think I will be ok but I just would like to ask to be 100% sure. I’m working on the aion FUSION . Base off a shur riot I guess… but it has the option to run it at 9v or 18v and i installed all the components to handle both 9 and 18 volts but I’d like to use a switch… I have a 3pdt on/on Lying around that I’d like to use and I’m wondering if I wire it up like I have drawn out in the pictures below will I be OK?

Attachments

• 5A56F6A1-91FA-4835-B6FF-F40ADCE22DC5.jpeg
    5A56F6A1-91FA-4835-B6FF-F40ADCE22DC5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
My crewed drawing is the picture at 90° different from your picture I think it should work I just wanted to make 100% sure

I have another newbie question I am also putting together the riot pedal from Pedal pcb and it is calling for a 1.7 or 1K1 resistor and I have a 1K2 resistor can I use a 1K2 resistor because I don’t have a 1K1 resistor. Or should I buy the right one???Naw the switch when flipped powers in the terminals all down the one side…

The 18v wire in the bottom row of your switch drawing never connects to anything.
I’m going to wire it up the Dan M way.. I’m confident now that it will work I think you very much for your time. Pedal pcb has earned my respect this forum was painless to join unlike the others..

Yes you can use a 1K2 for R12 in that circuit

3PDT lugs should be horizontally oriented like @Dan M has it, switched one way middle connects to top for 18v and switched the other way middle to bottom for 9v

Just for info the middle row is the common row and it either connects to the top or bottom row

If you want LED indication to show 9v or 18v is engaged you can use a common anode bi colour LED on the extra pole

Oh that’s neat I do have some bi color leds.. you can never have enough leds and flashy lights and stuff thanks for all the input.

thank you very much this hobby isn’t cheap. I just hope these diy pedals are as good or better then most pedals they Emulate. I like the mods and the fact of changing the sound with different components and diodes.I have already built one riot pedal which was a pcb I ordered from Poland off of reverb. I have a Jed’s peds riot version coming in the mail sometime soon and I also have aion and pedal pcb versions as you know. I’m sure they all will sound great I’m also building a few DR BOOGIES…

Last edited:
I just hope these diy pedals are as good or better then most pedals they Emulate. I like the mods and the fact of changing the sound with different components and diodes.
If you don’t rush through and are careful at each step, you will be very happy with the results compared to the originals. It’s great that you were interested in joining so you could ask—this is a very friendly, and helpful forum, so ask away.

For reference, the switch works like this:

1666353748032.png 1666353791196.png
The green, red, and blue are never in contact with each other. They just flip up and down from the center row. It's 3 separate switches, inside of one case. But they are separate from each other.

Great! Some of my electrical components are coming today in the mail I can’t wait to get to work on trees circuits and order some more!

thank you very much this hobby isn’t cheap.
It's not as expensive as buying the original pedals, but if you mess up a build and can't get it working then it really hurts your wallet.

If you're starting out, my recommendation is to take it slow and start with simple circuits with low parts counts. It will take a while to get good with soldering, wiring, and enclosure work. There are some awesome pedals with low parts counts, so don't feel like you need to rush..

Yes it’s very addicting I planed on doing these projects over the winter but I have started all of them the soldering I think I’m ok at it I’ve been a auto technician for Mitsubishi and Saab dealerships and for a birthday present one year a friend who was a solder person by trade game me a fluke 175 meter and hako soldering iron and 2 huge rolls of thin solder. I was in a bad accident in 2008 so I can’t sit or stand for to long but this keep my mind busy.

What Szukalski said, stick with low parts-count and common easy-to-get components. For example, the PedalPCB Two Sticks of Derm works/sounds great with the ubiquitous and inexpensive 2N3904 transistor.

Most of the pedals you'll be able to build cheaper than if you were to buy the commercial equivalent, except for stuff like a Joyo OD or at the other end of the spectrum an Empress Zoia or Reverb. However, you get to customise your build by tweaking its sound, and decorate it how you like and put the jacks and controls where you like — VERY SATISFYING! That satisfaction is priceless. Knowing how to fix your own pedals and friends' commercial pedals, equally satisfying.

The real expense comes when you start to horde future projects/builds that you may never get to, or ones that you're only mildly interested in but buy the project/PCB anyway. Stay focused!

I’m going to get that doom fuzz. It looks nice…I’m putting a guitarpcb blues breaker together today… and I’m also building so many other pcbs at the same time. It was supposed to keep me sane during the winter months. I maybe getting ahead of myself but for one thing I know I found the right right place and the right folks right here to help out. I was wondering about if like n134a diodes if different manufacturers of diodes/transistors and ic chips and resistors make a difference. I bought the joyo riot version us dream and it’s nothing like the riot.. the 8 dollar pcb I got off reverb sounds great it’s just as good if not better then the Jed’s peds doc boogie I did also. Your right this all started because I wanted to mod a 2008 nyc big muff pi I still haven’t figured out what I’m going to do with that pedal the tone knob is scratchy from it inception. Electro harmonics is that normal when I emailed them years ago but I will get around to that project.

Back